Do you have both the smart keyboard and smart cover for the 12.9"

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by shyam09, Jun 6, 2017.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I ordered the smart keyboard from ebay and I've been thinking about buying a smart cover as well (Apple OEM of course). I don't use a back case on any of my devices (knock on wood) since I prefer the feel of the aluminum.

The times I don't use the keyboard, I would have it attached to the smart cover. But if it's not that big a difference in terms of bulk / weight / inconvenience; I don't want to waste the extra money.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Very pricey to get both but the smart cover is ideal if you are ok handling the size.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have both. For me, I really appreciate the flexibility of going out with the SC or ASK. The ASK is the about the most mobile keyboard solution you can have for the Pro.

I've tried a few cases for the 12.9 but even the most thinnest of them added significant bulk. So I went the SC. Starting with the Air 1, there has only ever been Apple OEM smart covers. There are plenty of CASES but only Apple Covers for all iPads produced from the Air 1 and Mini onward.

I highly recommend using a thin film for the back (DIY or professional), the 12.9 Pro is a bit too slippery so a back skin improves grip without adding bulk.

4. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

Does the edge of the ASK cover magnetically attach to the back to hold the back cover in place (like the SC)? I would presume not because of the weight of the keyboard.

Any recommendations for skins? I was thinking something from dbrand, but debating on a lot of things.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

No, the ASK does not magnetically attach to the back. When I need to fold the ASK back, I generally detach it, flip it over and reattach it so that the outer part of the cover is still facing outward.

regarding skins, dbrand has a good reputation. In another thread I posted my DIY solution, clear Con-Tact paper. I included photos of how it looks. (summary: works and looks great... super inexpensive)

6. profets macrumors 68040

Are you sure about this? I have the ASK with the 9.7” Pro, and it does magnetically stick to the far edge on the rear. Not sure if it’s intended or not. Maybe the weight of the 12.9 ASK makes the difference?

Also I do agree about detaching and flipping it over. Always drives me crazy how the felt/inner part of the Smart Cover faces outward.

7. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

Nah. I thought about it when I bought the 9.7, but the keyboard doesn't really add that much bulk compared to the cover, and I didn't want to keep track of two covers.

8. jcshas macrumors regular

jcshas

I have both the Apple Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard for my 10.5 and I previously owned both for my 9.7. I like the convenience of the Smart Cover when I'm not working. Much lighter to carry around and/or use when I'm watching movies or reading in bed. The Smart Keyboard stays on when I'm working or traveling.

9. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

I only have the Smart Keyboard but dislike not having the "low rise" landscape option (below). I find myself looking for things to prop the iPad on when on a desk.
    [​IMG]

10. rufas2000 macrumors member

rufas2000

I personally don't see a need for both. The only time I would use the "low landscape" option is to type and if I have the keyboard then its taken care of. If I want it lighter I'd detach the keyboard and use it "naked". Not sure why I would want the smart cover flap in the back if I'm attaching and unattaching it anyway.

The added weight of the keyboard compared to the smart cover isn't a big deal for me. The extra flap that is the keyboard might be but so far I'm OK with it.

Edit note: I have the 10.5. I think it would be about the same in terms of benefit but a bit pricier.

You are looking at $230 for both ($250 for those opting for the leather). Depends on if it adds that value to you or not.

11. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I had them both for the 9.7 ... mainly for when I knew I wasn’t going to use the keyboard ... it’s redundant though and not worth it ... I have the 10.5 and won’t be buying the Smart Cover ...

12. digrazir macrumors newbie

I have both the Logitech slim keyboard case and the Apple Smart Cover..this combo, although a little expensive, really works well for me having the ability to easily and quickly switch out between the two...Ray

13. Fatyank macrumors member

Fatyank

--- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2017 ---
    I purchased dbrand wrap for my IPP 12.9 and iPhone 7 plus. You need a little patience to install them but they look and feel great. I got the backs only. I'm using Apple Smart keyboard

14. groupoid macrumors newbie

I have both. However, I would not consider paying retail price. I think I got ASK on ebay for around $70, and ASC for $25, new or like new condition. For this price, it doesn't hurt to own both.

In my experience, if you are traveling with a single device, ASK is the way to go. For me, it was a complete laptop replacement.

However, if you are also carrying a laptop and primarily use ipad with a pencil, ASK is too bulky, even if you don't consider the weight. It just doesn't balance properly and I have to remove it to use the pencil (while I can keep ASC).