Do you have Flash installed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Trance, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

I'm still adjusting to the mac world, reading articles to see why apple do what they do. I read Steve Jobs open letter thoughts on adobe flash. He mentions Flash is the number one reason Macs crash. I haven't had any issues yet but I do notice when i'm on youtube my mbp gets hot.

majority of mac users use flash too? if not how do you view youtube and other sites who still rely on it?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I have Flash installed, but use Click to Flash in either Chrome or Safari so it doesn't run unless I want it to. YouTube and most other sites don't actually require Flash any more, as they can present the same videos via HTML5 media players. Click to Flash allows me to do that directly, and there are other solutions as well for prompting sites to provide you with their HTML5 players instead of Flash.

jW

3. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you for mentioning the extension sounds useful!

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I switched to chrome so I don't have to have the flash plug in installed anymore.

It drives me crazy that it always needs to be updated manually, enter password 3x, close all browser windows, etc. Very disruptive. Chrome auto updates in the background and integrates flash.

5. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love to use chrome I really miss mouse gestures.
    2 things stopping me Reading List (to checkout sites later on my iPad) and theres no back/forward animation in chrome:(

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have flash installed, it helps with those sites that rely heavily on it

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have Flash installed as well. As stated, there are plenty of sites that require it if you want to view them. But Flash can cause problems in weird ways too. So If you ever have a strange problem, usually in regards to a web browser, it doesn't hurt to remove Flash and then reinstall it.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I do not have Flash installed and use Chrome if a site requires Flash, which is less and less common.

The advantage of not having Flash installed vs. some of the extensions mentioned with Flash is many sites will detect you do not have Flash installed and serve up an HTML5 version of the site. If Flash is installed with the blocking extensions, the site tries to serve Flash and you then need to click to allow Flash, whereas without Flash you may have been able to use the site in HTML5.

Not having Flash installed also prevents Flash ads etc. in RSS readers and HTML emails.

For the occasions I do run across something I really need to use Flash with, I execute the following script with Alfred and the frontmost Safari page will launch in Chrome.

Works for me.

Code:
    tell application "Safari" to set currentURL to URL of current tab of window 1
    tell application "Google Chrome"
    	activate
    	if not (exists window 1) then make new window
    	tell window 1
    		if URL of active tab is "chrome://newtab/" then
    			set URL of active tab to currentURL
    		else
    			make new tab with properties {URL:currentURL}
    		end if
    	end tell
    end tell

9. Ves macrumors member

Ves

Don't have it installed but using Chrome as my main browser.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No, i use HDDs.

;-)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had a Flash-related crash.

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

12. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

13. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Here's what I did:

1. Uninstall flash from my mac.
    2. THEN, install google chrome and only use it when I need flash.

Chrome comes with its own version of flash and is updated regularly, so there are less security issues. The Chrome version of flash does seem to run a lot cooler than the flash for mac.

Finally, I have never missed it, and in fact, not having flash while browsing in safari gets rid of plenty of the really annoying ads you usually see. :)

14. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

XD Me too! I'm saving up for flash though!

----------

Yes, I have flash installed. I haven't had any problems with it, though sometimes flash videos (like Youtube) are a little slower in Safari, so I just watch them in Chrome (Which has its own flash plugin)

15. moldy912 macrumors member

I've tried addons like this, and I've had bad experiences with the HTML5 players. Do they work well for you? I haven't tried in a while, so maybe that is the case.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ClickToFlash is excellent. I definitely recommend it.

17. moldy912 macrumors member

Ok, I'll definitely check it out. Do you know if it allows me to add sites to always play flash? I guess I don't really need that with html5, but who knows, maybe I will.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ClickToFlash will block flash on sites, giving you the option to click on a flash element to play it. You can also "whitelist" a site when you always want flash to play on that site.

19. moldy912 macrumors member

Yeah, the whitelist feature is what I meant to say. Thanks!

20. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I don't have Flash installed, but I use both Safari and Chrome.

Chrome has Flash built-in, so if I ever need to view Flash content, I just open the website in Chrome.

Also, YouTube has an HTML5 beta at www.youtube.com/html5 and if you opt in it will load videos in HTML5 when possible. I would say about half the time videos load in HTML5, and the other half it says "Not available" and copying and pasting the link into Chrome works. YouTube's Flash player is still much better than its HTML5 player, but some websites have pretty smooth HTML5 video player implementations.

21. arashb macrumors 6502

If you enable the developer menu on Safari there is a button that you can click to "Open with..." and choose whatever browser you have. That's what I use to do but now I just use Chrome again and have click to flash :p.

22. cMacSW macrumors regular

I removed flash from my system, when needed i use Chrome, and I make sure to quit chrome once I'm done.
    The main reason for getting rid of flash was battery life, I get almost 2x battery life when not running any flash.

23. arashb macrumors 6502

He had a big problem with it in general. It is very inefficient and outdated, it's why he was pushing for HTML5.

Not only for iPhones, for Macs as well.