Do you have Macs at your school?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eric55lv, Jan 20, 2008.

?

Do you have Macs at your school?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2008.
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

My school have the plastiv Intel iMacs with iLife 06 and OS X Tiger(They wont upgrade it to Leopard)

2. balofagus macrumors regular

Our Art Department has several Power Mac G3's (the blue and white ones) and several G4 Power Mac's. These were all donated by the current department head (he was just a teacher then). The suckers are feeling their age when put to the rigours of handling 4 classes of grade nines, two classes of grade 10s and class each of 11 and 12 every year. We are fundraising to purchase one of those carts and getting some laptops for the room. If only the school board loved our school as much as the one they bought a whole mac lab for...:rolleyes:

3. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Our Art Department has Core Duo iMacs (Educational), 1 20" C2D iMac and several more eMacs (1.25). Most of the machines have also been upgraded with more RAM. We have Leopard as well. I hate it...

4. eric55lv thread starter Guest

eric55lv

Oh forgot that we have emacs and iMac G3s(Graphite)

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

My High School, Junior High, and elementary school had Macs.

Now my college has all PC's, and they suck.

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Macs in my (old) school. Yea, nice joke :D . We had some rather old Dells and plenty very old no-name PCs. Two years ago, they switched from Win 98 to XP...

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

A few...certianly not lots, and their not really used for work(some Podcasting..)

8. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Yup, in my Visual Communications Class (which unfortunately I have to switch out of :mad: )

About 25ish G5's, a few iSights, and about 3 Mac Pros. I love that class :eek:

9. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Some of the computer labs in my school have iMacs but it is mostly PCs.

My junior high back in the day had Apple Color Classics (I think).

10. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

11. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

2 Core Duo Mac Minis in all my high school. It looks funny because you enter the high-school lab and see all these black boxes with black keyboards and in one end of a desk two white little boxes with white keyboards and some Nec silver displays. They still are running the tiger they shipped with because the retarded gangba*ng*r of the "computer administrator" has blocked the type of extension Macs use in their download, they also blocked msn and many many download files. And know almost everyone has a Mac.... mainly white macbook and some blacks and pros.

-Victor

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

We used to have a few old eMacs around the art rooms and a old PowerMac, but no more :(

13. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

My school is 100% Mac - I love it to bits.

This year, we're finally, after dealing with kids using predominantly OS 9 in the computer lab and then using 10.4 for Rosetta Stone on an iBook mobile lab and having none of them have any idea what to do in 10(keeping in mind that 10 has been out since 2001), we are getting rid of our ancient 5260's and 5400's in classrooms, putting the G3 iMacs all running 9 that we got last year that are currently in our only lab into classrooms, and replacing all 26 lab iMacs with brand new aluminium iMacs running Leopard. We will finally not have to deal with headaches trying to help kids figure out how to connect to the server in one or the other, trying to figure out the different save dialogs(Believe it or not, this is a big problem - its a little different and it throws them all), and we are going to be running 100% OS X in the lab and iBooks. The library tech also just replaced her ancient B&W running 9 with one of those same iMacs because she couldn't get the last two or three new library database software updates or Accelerated Reader updates, and a new server capable of dealing with Leopard as opposed to our G4 running 9.2 server is coming in tomorrow.

Yay new Macs! I'm so excited - we are actually getting new computers as opposed to getting old ones donated for the first time in 10 years. Plus, the new iMacs are so beautiful, the lab's gonna look great once we get them all in. And of course, this is all happening during my last year, and by the time we get the suckers in and working, it'll be April or May and I'll be on my way out the door.

(cue all of the kids freaking out because there isn't an apple key anymore, there's a key with a wierd loopy thing and the word "command" on it:rolleyes:)

14. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

We had classic macs when I was in elementary, then around 5th grade the computers needed an upgrade, and they opted for PC's over nice new iMacs....

We have been that way ever since, (I'm at the same school its K-12)

But now, one of the Elementry labs has switched back to macs (30 nice imacs).

as for the High School. Every single student laptop is a MacBook, and there are lots of them, so the school is starting to make the switch back to Macs next year, starting with the library and study halls.

The art department has always had a few G5's/MacPros arround, same with the Video Production Department..... and the Principal :p

I'm excited for the switch.

JC7

15. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Sounds just like my school career :rolleyes:

Not as bad a when you tell them 'Option' and Alt's written on it ;)
    I still don't know why it's like that.

16. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

My high school has PC's. Same with the middle school I went to. My Elementary and 6th grade schools had Mac's. I would love if I could take my MacBook to school and use that instead of those damn slow PC's. Sometimes I would like to get my work done in class. :eek:

17. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

The vast majority of my school is PC, thin clients running WS2K3, iMac G3s booting into OS 9 but the only app is Citrix, Hewlett-Pukeard lappys.

However, there are some beat-up iBook G4s and 3 Core 2 Duo iMacs, 5-ish eMacs, 3 Al-iMacs, and 3 iMac G5s with iSight.

Bam.

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Our school has a classroom lab of 28 iMacs (the most recent white ones from before the aluminum upgrade), and a Mac Pro which is only for film students. We also have 63 extremely crappy Dells that are extremely slow. All teachers have an IBM Thinkpad which is pretty tricked out. But it is a private school with a crapload of high end technology in it.

19. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

The computers at my school have a whopping 32 MB of video memory! WOW

I refuse to even work on them. They block any website that has a URL and watch you from their guilded desk. I never work, I just open Word and type really big: I LOVE BIG BROTHER.

They don't like me.

20. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I remember last year. In my high school you had to take this class as a freshman called ICA which was a computer class. It would teach you type and how to use Microsoft Office and everyone would always open up Word and type stupid stuff and the teacher would always yell back a response to us. :cool:

21. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Yup. Art school.

PowerMac G5s in all the labs (as well as a handfull of Dells).

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

23. Mac One macrumors member

My old school has about 20 eMacs and a single G5 Powermac in the art dept. I can't ever see Macs taking over the PCs in the labs and library... but I don't have to put up with them anymore!:D

24. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

We don't really have any. The Middle school next door to mine has a lab with 20" iMacs and they're ordering some AlumiMacs. They also have some powermacs and iMac G4's.

My school has all HP/Compaq computers. The oldest ones are maybe 4 years old. The newest ones have 17" adjustable LCD monitors, Core Duo Processors, 2gb Ram, pretty good video cards (512mb), 80gb HD's (all files are saved on servers). There are also some Laptops that teachers have... that they're not allowed to take out of school (I know, it makes sense). Some of the administrators have Tablet PC's.

Every classroom has 1 computer. Science rooms have about 9 computers, there are 6 Labs in the school with about 25 computers, SPED rooms usually have 4 or 5.

I'd like to see macs again, especially in the A/V / Graphic Design Lab lab.

25. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've gotten to the point where I refuse to use MS Office. It's too big brother-ish when they think it's a "necessary skill".Of course, there's not much I can do about it, but I do bring my jumpdrive to school and use OpenOffice instead. :D:)

I move around a lot, so I have gone to a lot of different school's, and only one of them was all mac, all the other's have had no macs at all.