Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I think many would own an iPhone, iPad and a Mac (laptop or desktop).

But probably some out there who have gone all-in on the iPad ecosystem.

I'm toying with the idea of getting the largest size next gen iPad Pro when it comes out in March(?). This would be most likely remain docked to a Magic Keyboard 90% of the time.

This would go along with my current iPad Air 4 I purchased just a few months ago. The Air when in keyboard mode is starting to feel a bit small for productivity, but really shines when used in tablet mode.

I already have a iMac, so I'm covered on the MacOS front.
Are there owners of multiple iPads? Maybe even a third iPad as their family iPad?

ckoerner

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I've never considered having multiple iPads for myself. We have 3 in our current household, but given their nature as a single-user device they are not shared. Ok, well, my wife and I do sometimes share our iPads with the six-year-old to play games or watch movies in the blanket fort. :)

IMHO, the screen size different is so minimal between 10.9 and 12.9. I'd rather invest in a monitor to hook up to when I'm at the desk.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
12.9: American comics, PDF annotation and docked (Logitech K780 + MX Ergo Plus)

10.5: Manga, ebooks and general use, always with me and fits easily in my purses
I've got an iPad Pro 10.5 and Air 3 used alternately when the other one is charging.

I expect when I replace the 10.5, I'll get either 2x Air 4 or iPad Pro 11+Air 4.

Mind, we still have computers. For one thing, they're used to serve ebooks and manga/comics to my iOS devices. Also, for some tasks like filing taxes, I'm more comfortable doing that on a desktop OS where I can take plenty of backups versus online-based apps on the iPad.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
12.9 Pro for work on the go and when multitasking needed (split view essentially gives you two iPad Minis side by side)
11 Pro for reading ebooks, gaming, media consumption.
Mini for taking with me to places, absolutely love the pocket size.
All LTE.

12.9 is more like 2x 9.7" side by side portrait (same vertical, thinner horizontal at 2:3 instead of 3:4 AR).

Incidentally, if they upped the pixel density on the 11 Pro to 326 ppi, that's physically close to 2x 7.9" iPad minis side by side.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I used to have multiple iPads.

Early 2020:
Pro 12.9: Everyday "computer"
Mini5: Daily portable. 2nd screen
Kindle Paperwhite: Text based Books

Late 2020:
Pro11: Perfect balance of size and power.

And with the Magic Keyboard then the Pro11 is my primary device for everything except video editing. Comics feel more comfortable here too so I've shifted all my reading to this and eliminated my Kindle. Apple doesnt seem to have any plans on optimizing iPadOS for a larger screen so I dont regret selling the 12.9 at all but I do miss having a Mini as a 2nd screen.

Last edited:

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
12.9 is more like 2x 9.7" side by side portrait (same vertical, thinner horizontal at 2:3 instead of 3:4 AR).

Incidentally, if they upped the pixel density on the 11 Pro to 326 ppi, that's physically close to 2x 7.9" iPad minis side by side.
I use Split View in *landscape* mode, so it is pretty close to having 2x iPad Mini side by side, utilizing the Smart Keyboard Folio/Magic Keyboard.
I don't often find myself using Split View in portrait mode.
Hope it helps someone!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I use Split View in *landscape* mode, so it is pretty close to having 2x iPad Mini side by side, utilizing the Smart Keyboard Folio/Magic Keyboard.
I don't often find myself using Split View in portrait mode.
Hope it helps someone!

Yes, I use split view in landscape mode as well. I meant the height of the 12.9" in landscape is the same as the 9.7" in portrait. Hence, landscape 12.9" in split view is like having 2x 9.7" in portrait side by side.

Left-to-right:
iPad Pro 9.7", iPad Pro 12.9", iPad mini 4 7.9"
144725B8-D502-4C72-B1D8-98819E57BE99.jpeg

In a similar vein, the height of the 10.5" and 11" in landscape is the same as the 7.9" in portrait.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I used to have multiple iPads.

Early 2020:
Pro 12.9: Everyday "computer"
Mini5: Daily portable. 2nd screen
Kindle Paperwhite: Text based Books

Late 2020:
Pro11: Perfect balance of size and power.

And with the Magic Keyboard then the Pro11 is my primary device for everything except video editing. Comics feel more comfortable here too so I've shifted all my reading to this and eliminated my Kindle. Apple doesnt seem to have any plans on optimizing iPadOS for a larger screen so I dont regret selling the 12.9 at all but I do miss having a Mini as a 2nd screen.

I'm on my way to doing just this as well. I currently use:

Pro 12.9" - Main machine, even over my MBP for everything but media editing and creation.
Mini - media consumption and sitting around (when I can pull it away from my little kid).

I've always found the 11" too small for the work I do on the Pro and too big for just carrying around casually like the Mini but I may get one to replace the Mini which I can never get my hands on if the kid has it.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

I'm toying with the idea of getting the largest size next gen iPad Pro when it comes out in March(?). This would be most likely remain docked to a Magic Keyboard 90% of the time.

This would go along with my current iPad Air 4 I purchased just a few months ago. The Air when in keyboard mode is starting to feel a bit small for productivity, but really shines when used in tablet mode.

Are there owners of multiple iPads? Maybe even a third iPad as their family iPad?
11-inch iPad Pro + iPad mini 5 (if I had one :()...

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
IMHO, the screen size different is so minimal between 10.9 and 12.9. I'd rather invest in a monitor to hook up to when I'm at the desk.
But then the external monitor support in iPadOS only mirrors the internal screen which doesn't really bring me much benefit for productivity.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

For about 4 years I've owned more than 1 iPad at a time.

First, I bought a Mini 4 after taking the 1st gen 12.9 Pro on a trip. The 12.9 was just too large for me to travel comfortably. The Mini 4 was a nice add. The 12.9 Pro+smart keyboard cover had replaced my 11" MBA... and served as a tablet while at home.

As the 12.9 started to succumb to intermittent dead-spots on the touchscreen, I traded it in for the 9.7" iPad 6. After 2 years of having the Mini 4 and iPad 6, I traded both in for a Mini 5. (and am able to re-use all of the Mini 4 accessories)

I'm now back to a single iPad.

256GB iPad Mini 5 + 8GB/128GB 2017 MBA + 2018 21" iMac.

I'm getting a bit restless with the MBA so I may very well trade that in for different notebook.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I recently got an iPad Air 4. But I seem to be continuing to use the iPad Air (2013) that the new one was supposed to replace.

I'm mainly using the new one for studying (noting a text book), household budgeting (Pages and Digits) and planning my day (Notes). But while I'm studying I still have the old iPad next to me and reply to messages and FaceTime on that because I turned off Messages and FaceTime on the new one as I didn't like my writing being disturbed by notifications from those apps. I also use the old one to stream BBC Radio 4 to a Sonos Beam while studying. And I still use the old one for general browsing and looking at social media.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
12.9 2020 iPP with Magic Keyboard for work and art: ProCreate, Scrivener, annotating PDFs, browsing the web, showing Powerpoints to a Zoom meeting on my iMac.

iPad Mini 2 for reading ePub books in bed.

I will replace the Mini 2 with a Mini 6 as soon as it comes out.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
2017 12.9 and Mini5. Bought the mini to use when out and about working... then 2020 happened. I haven’t used the mini much - I’m going to start carrying it with me for my digital planner.. we shall see how that goes. Otherwise I might give it to my oldest kid as a bribe to draw me some artwork ? My 16yo wants 12.9 instead of her v6 base, the middle kiddo has the 10.5 Air. I’m going to upgrade this spring, I just don’t know to what. I really want the green air - but storage and screen real estate are a factor. Oh and the boyfriend had a used gen 1 12.9 for media consumption. So 5 iPads for 4 people. ?

Oh and the middle kid just got the MBP M1... and I really really like it.... but I have to choose.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I have the iPad 6 with Apple Pencil 1 and iPad Pro 12.9 with Apple Pencil 2. They’re both great. However, my main tablet is my tab s7 plus. I use all three for different things.

Nothing beats reading on my Kindle Oasis 7”.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Contrary to most people, I will ALWAYS have the 3 sizes, so at least one mini, one mid, and the 12.9 (and a bigger size if they ever make it).
Currently I have 3 minis (2, 4 and 5), but I am thinking of selling the 4 (the 2 has a specific use for one of my businesses... a dance school, on IOS 10 for a 32 bit music app that is no longer made)
I have 3 mids (9.7 pro, 10.5 pro, 11 pro). Again I am thinking of selling the middle one, the 10.5, will keep the 9.7 as it is also perfect for my dance school...now closed but should reopen once Covid is over....)
And I have a 12.9 first gen (now brand new after swapping it with Apple for the new battery). This one will stay.
I also have an old ipad 2 I might sell for very cheap if I find someone looking for one....
So in the end, other than those 2 iPads used for that for my dance school, I would end up with mini 5 (bought in 2019), 11 pro (bought last Christmas), 12.9 first gen brand new.
I also have quite a few laptops, my main one being a Surface book 2 15in, and a Windows desktop.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I have a 12.9, I would want to get either a 11‘’ or a mini if it gets faceID. Want a smaller device, this is too cumbersome to use without the magic keyboard. But yeah 2 iPads seem like a good combo.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I'm on my way to doing just this as well. I currently use:

Pro 12.9" - Main machine, even over my MBP for everything but media editing and creation.
Mini - media consumption and sitting around (when I can pull it away from my little kid).

I've always found the 11" too small for the work I do on the Pro and too big for just carrying around casually like the Mini but I may get one to replace the Mini which I can never get my hands on if the kid has it.
Same, either a new 11” or a refreshed mini would be lovely. Mini may not get 120hz or FaceID tho which may very well be a dealbreaker.

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
I had an 11" Pro, then picked up a previous-generation 12.9" Pro in a clearance sale, and I'm loving having both. The extra size of the 12.9" is great for using in a stand for reading or playing games at the table. watching TV on my stationary cycle, or as a larger drawing tablet (which was the justification I gave myself when I bought it). Meanwhile, the 11" is perfect for using as a handheld device for reading in an armchair or in bed, where the larger one is cumbersome. It's definitely not an expense most people can justify, though.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I don’t have a Mac or an iPhone as a phone. (I do have a 6S Plus with no cell service that I use to take app screen shots for documentation I write, but my phone is Android.)

I have an iPad Pro 11 and a Mini 5, both cellular, that I use every day. I also have an iPP 10.5 that I don’t use often, but it serves as a backup for the 11 if I’ve run the battery down. I mainly use it when I’m grading papers. It displays my output (grading key), I view and mark up the students’ output on my iPP 11, and I record the grading info on a rubric displayed on the Mini 5.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Had a client meeting today to review a report I’d designed. Client used my ipad Pro 12.9 on Magic Keyboard to review the design and I used my 8th gen iPad with a logitech crayon to note their changes on my version of the same document.

Was so grateful to have both iPads - will be using this setup for future design review meetings.

For daily activities, the 8th gen iPad is my carry-everywhere and the iPad Pro stays at the desktop - ready for heavy duty work. Good for my batteries...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.