Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
So, things seems pretty okay with my new VZN 32GB ipad 3, no dead pixels, screen is a BIT non uniform, but I think I can handle a slight saturation difference. It is VERY unnoticeable.

The WIFI issue though seems to be a little issue possibly. I don't really have low WIFI strength, but it does seem to have a bit of an issue doing streaming of youtube.

It will stream a video, but then it stops buffering. It is really better to pause and then start up again rather than let it sit.

That said, I think the issue MIGHT stem from youtube seeing the player as high resolution and therefore it sends HI DEF streams rather than lower definition streams and also most versions of the youtube player or embedded in websites while playing from the ipad IOS don't allow one to CHANGE the setting to a lower setting. So, if it THINKS you are on a hi-def product it is going to try and send the highest resolution it possibly can.

this isn't really want I want, but does anyone else notice the problem streaming youtube?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
So, things seems pretty okay with my new VZN 32GB ipad 3, no dead pixels, screen is a BIT non uniform, but I think I can handle a slight saturation difference. It is VERY unnoticeable.

The WIFI issue though seems to be a little issue possibly. I don't really have low WIFI strength, but it does seem to have a bit of an issue doing streaming of youtube.

It will stream a video, but then it stops buffering. It is really better to pause and then start up again rather than let it sit.

That said, I think the issue MIGHT stem from youtube seeing the player as high resolution and therefore it sends HI DEF streams rather than lower definition streams and also most versions of the youtube player or embedded in websites while playing from the ipad IOS don't allow one to CHANGE the setting to a lower setting. So, if it THINKS you are on a hi-def product it is going to try and send the highest resolution it possibly can.

this isn't really want I want, but does anyone else notice the problem streaming youtube?

This happens on my IPhone too. The solution is to go to m.youtube and install it on you Homescreen.

http://www.youtube.com/mobile

StevieWonderMic

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Toronto
This happens on my IPhone too. The solution is to go to m.youtube and install it on you Homescreen.

http://www.youtube.com/mobile

I use that shortcut. Its a separate issue. When I first got the 3 I had them both next to each other and started the "real mitt Romney" and my 2 kicked the 3's ass. Even though I didn't have the sim in the 3 should still have loaded faster, no? They are both 64gb whites, my two is wifi only and the 3 is 4g.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
sometimes

sometimes one can use the m.youtube.com site, but when it is an embedded video that is hard to do.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
not the app

the youtube app doesn't do it, since the app pretty much tells the youtube CDN to send ipad specific resolution, but not HIGH resolution.

try going here and running one of the EMBEDDED youtube videos, like the smokin' hot C63 AMG version

http://www.motorweek.org/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.