do you have Read Receipts enabled

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andrew.s

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Inland Empire
Nope. A little obsessive.

To clarify, we're at a point I feel where we know the person read it. I'm sure certain situations it's helpful but not for me.

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes - I think it just makes things a bit easier for other people. If I haven't replied but it's read, well, you don't have to say anything else. I just didn't find it worthy of reply :p

I'm partially joking of course. I think it may just give people like my family peace of mind; for example, if I'm somewhere I can't easily reply but can quickly glance and read it.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
Yes - I think it just makes things a bit easier for other people. If I haven't replied but it's read, well, you don't have to say anything else. I just didn't find it worthy of reply :p

I'm partially joking of course. I think it may just give people like my family peace of mind; for example, if I'm somewhere I can't easily reply but can quickly glance and read it.
My feelings as well

Reactions: Yptcn

juniorspank

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2015

This exactly.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
No, I can see it's use, but I've frequently seen it used to mislead. I've seen a lot of people that use read receipts for deniability. It's a way to say "I'm just reading this now," but really it was read when the notification came through. When I used read receipts, I've found myself considering when I wanted to read the message too. It's another component to the message that I'd rather not have to think about.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I have it enabled. Don't care if the sender knows if it's read or not read...either way, I'm not obligated to act on any communication. IF on the off chance I don't want a read receipt sent at that exact moment, I just read the message via notification center and open it up via iMessage later on.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
Yes, it's on for me. This to prevent: did you get my message?
Thus further preventing the one liner "ok" text message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.