Do you have room for 2 MBPs in your life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Magpie-23, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Magpie-23 macrumors member

I was wondering if there are others out there who run 2 MBPs like me?

In my case it is an early 2011 17” quad-i7 + 8GB RAM as my main machine, and the base 13” i5 from the recent refresh.

I love my 17” but it’s not made for being too portable (and I just wasn’t feeling the love for the MBA) so I went and burned some more cash on a 13” MBP, which is now my on the go machine for mail and browsing and lighter weight stuff.
    I thought it would become a battle for which one to keep but I’ve fallen for both and now can’t do without either. Especially now iCloud and Dropbox make content synching a lot easier.

I see it is quite common to see an iMac with a MBA or MBP or, say, a 17” MBP plus the 11” Air, but does anyone else find room in their life for two MBPs?

2. samcolson4 macrumors member

If I had the money I'd get an iMac and a top spec Air. I don't see the appeal in having two of 'the same' laptop.

3. simply amazing macrumors member

i understand your need for portability, as i can't even imagine lugging the 17" around everywhere. if it were me, i would have opted for a MBA for browsing/email and the occasional "emergency designing" if need be. but if you're comfortable carrying around a 2nd, albeit smaller MBP, more power to you! i don't see anything wrong with it considering your MBP is around the same price range as the MBA. more a matter of preference at that point

4. Magpie-23 thread starter macrumors member

When my kids are a bit older and not likely to use the screen as a whiteboard, I will probably have an iMac at home and a 13"MBP on the go. (or whatever equivalents are out then).
    For now, my 17" is effectively a desktop replacement that mostly stays on my desk at work. The 13" comes everywhere with me. Maybe just me, but I prefer the 13" MBP to the MBA (I've tried both 11" and 13" Airs). I prefer a bigger HD for all my stuff over being super-light. The 13" MBP is hardly a boat-anchor.

5. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

My situation is a little bit similar to yours. I have a 15" MacBook Pro that is usually docked and used as my main desktop at home and I take it with me when I go to the office. However, since I do quite a bit of traveling, the MacBook Air 11" is perfect and extremely convenient to carry around from airport to airport and flight to flight.

If I were on a really tight budget... I could just live with having a 13" MBP (which I did for almost 2 years) or an i7 MacBook Air.

6. dwag3 macrumors newbie

dwag3

If I were in your situation I'd opt for a top spec iMac and a MacBook Air for portability. But of course personal preference trumps all.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

8. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

My home is two floors, so I keep a Mid 2010 15" i5 8gb MBP in my room due to the larger display and the more portable Mid 2010 13" 2.4 C2D 8gb MBP hooked up to a apple cinema display in the first floor.

I take my 13" occasionally to my college courses and to do work when on the road. The 15" doesn't move and stays put.

I was considering a MBA but the inability to upgrade internals turned me off.

Don't require desktop power for what I do and prefer my machines to be portable and upgradable.

9. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I have an MBP 17 and an iPad 2, which is the perfect combination for me.

I carry the Mac when I need to run the software on it, and the iPad the rest of the time for email and web (I find a phone screen too cramped for anything but occasional use).