Do you have room for 2 MBPs in your life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Magpie-23, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Magpie-23 macrumors member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was wondering if there are others out there who run 2 MBPs like me?

In my case it is an early 2011 17” quad-i7 + 8GB RAM as my main machine, and the base 13” i5 from the recent refresh.

I love my 17” but it’s not made for being too portable (and I just wasn’t feeling the love for the MBA) so I went and burned some more cash on a 13” MBP, which is now my on the go machine for mail and browsing and lighter weight stuff.
    I thought it would become a battle for which one to keep but I’ve fallen for both and now can’t do without either. Especially now iCloud and Dropbox make content synching a lot easier.

I see it is quite common to see an iMac with a MBA or MBP or, say, a 17” MBP plus the 11” Air, but does anyone else find room in their life for two MBPs?
  2. samcolson4 macrumors member

Aug 16, 2011
    If I had the money I'd get an iMac and a top spec Air. I don't see the appeal in having two of 'the same' laptop.
  3. simply amazing macrumors member

Nov 2, 2011
    i understand your need for portability, as i can't even imagine lugging the 17" around everywhere. if it were me, i would have opted for a MBA for browsing/email and the occasional "emergency designing" if need be. but if you're comfortable carrying around a 2nd, albeit smaller MBP, more power to you! i don't see anything wrong with it considering your MBP is around the same price range as the MBA. more a matter of preference at that point
  4. Magpie-23 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 18, 2011
    When my kids are a bit older and not likely to use the screen as a whiteboard, I will probably have an iMac at home and a 13"MBP on the go. (or whatever equivalents are out then).
    For now, my 17" is effectively a desktop replacement that mostly stays on my desk at work. The 13" comes everywhere with me. Maybe just me, but I prefer the 13" MBP to the MBA (I've tried both 11" and 13" Airs). I prefer a bigger HD for all my stuff over being super-light. The 13" MBP is hardly a boat-anchor.
  5. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

Aug 15, 2010
    Southern California
    My situation is a little bit similar to yours. I have a 15" MacBook Pro that is usually docked and used as my main desktop at home and I take it with me when I go to the office. However, since I do quite a bit of traveling, the MacBook Air 11" is perfect and extremely convenient to carry around from airport to airport and flight to flight.

If I were on a really tight budget... I could just live with having a 13" MBP (which I did for almost 2 years) or an i7 MacBook Air.
  6. dwag3 macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2011
    If I were in your situation I'd opt for a top spec iMac and a MacBook Air for portability. But of course personal preference trumps all.
  7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2011
  8. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Sep 13, 2010
    Miami FL
    My home is two floors, so I keep a Mid 2010 15" i5 8gb MBP in my room due to the larger display and the more portable Mid 2010 13" 2.4 C2D 8gb MBP hooked up to a apple cinema display in the first floor.

I take my 13" occasionally to my college courses and to do work when on the road. The 15" doesn't move and stays put.

I was considering a MBA but the inability to upgrade internals turned me off.

Don't require desktop power for what I do and prefer my machines to be portable and upgradable.
  9. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2011
    London, England
    I have an MBP 17 and an iPad 2, which is the perfect combination for me.

I carry the Mac when I need to run the software on it, and the iPad the rest of the time for email and web (I find a phone screen too cramped for anything but occasional use).