Do you have such a mentality?

ryan.apham

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2011
A don't use any protection for my MBA, only a sleeve when there's a need to carry around.

I don't use anything for my iPhone either, because it ruins the aesthetics of the phone.

But then, I don't know why, I have this mentality that iPads MUST be used with a case. When holding a 'naked' iPad, it just seems 'wrong' to me. Everytime I buy a new iPad, I have the urge to immediately buy some black leather case. This is not because I'm worried about dropping it, no, I usually won't care about dents and scratches. It just looks classier, more professional when 'wrapped' in leather cases than when being 'naked' - it just looks like a toy for kids to me.

Do you guys share the same thoughts?

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
A don't use any protection for my MBA, only a sleeve when there's a need to carry around.

I don't use anything for my iPhone either, because it ruins the aesthetics of the phone.

But then, I don't know why, I have this mentality that iPads MUST be used with a case. When holding a 'naked' iPad, it just seems 'wrong' to me. Everytime I buy a new iPad, I have the urge to immediately buy some black leather case. This is not because I'm worried about dropping it, no, I usually won't care about dents and scratches. It just looks classier, more professional when 'wrapped' in leather cases than when being 'naked' - it just looks like a toy for kids to me.

My iPhone is in a Mophie Juice Pack and a invisibleSheild(ZAGG) on the front.
My iPad has nothing other then the apple cover and a invisibleSheild HD on it.

I wouldn't have the iPhone in a case but I need the extra power so I don't have to charge it at about 5:00PM everyday.

ryan.apham

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2011
I'm not talking about resale value. What I'm trying to say is that, iPad looks kinda cheap without any case. Not cheap, but kind of like gaming machine for kids.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I think it looks, and feels, way better without a case. I use a Smart Cover for typing and a sleeve for travelling, but mostly it's naked.

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
The only reason why I use cases is because of the fragile glass. I couldn't give two hoots about them being scratched.

Born2Run

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
Brighton
The only protection I use with my iPad is the Smart Cover, I'm not bothered about resale as I always give my old iPads or computers to my family or friends when I upgrade anyway!

When I had my iPad2 I managed to slip on a cruise ship I was working on, the iPad flew out of my hands, bounced off the metal wall and then bounced down some metal stairs... There was a tiny dent on the corner and that was it, no scratched of cracks in the glass!

virginblue4

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

Both my iPhone and iPad are protected. I have a thin see through case on my iPhone so it doesn't take away from the look. I have a belkin snap shield (very thin and also clear) on my iPad as well as a smart cover. It's opposite to you though, I the find naked iPad 2/3 areas very nice looking and look very professional and high quality.

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
IPad is has a Smart Cover and a grip-friendly backcover. The iPhone is also covered; I don't like scratches.

MBA is uncovered when in use; but covered when stored or while transportation. I hate when I see my old MBP 17" now with my wife with a deep scratch in he unibody. It hurts.

I know, I should grow up; it's just a computer ... But ...

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Always naked, but I wish I had put a screen protector on my n900. That thing scratched by just looking at it.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I buy iPhones, iPads & Macs to _use_ and enjoy.

Sometimes I use a case, sometimes I don't.

The Oleophobic coating that is applied to the screen provides a terrific tactile experience. There's no way I'd mask that with a protector of any type.

After an absolute minimum of one year, the coating remains totally scratch free & just like the day I unpacked it. I've had them go two years, no problem.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
It's tough. I just recently got an iPad. I've been looking at cases n I want something hat is as close to "naked" as naked can be. I like the feel of the bare iPad in my hands and as I type on it. Then again, I haven't had it in a case yet. I do want a case for protection, though.

T.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I'm not talking about resale value. What I'm trying to say is that, iPad looks kinda cheap without any case. Not cheap, but kind of like gaming machine for kids.
I case all of my devices to protect their resale value but I disagree with you on iPad's appearance. I find the device to be quietly elegant with it's simple design.