Do you have the Grove iPad case? Need to ask a question...

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by KECool, Aug 30, 2011.

1. KECool, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

KECool macrumors newbie

I recently received my Grove iPad case that I ordered back in June and I really love it, but there is one detail that is bothering me and I would like to see if you all have the same experience.

When looking at the Grove gallery the mic hole clearly is a carved out square about 1/4 inch long. You can see the mic and a bit of the iPad around it.
    However, my case has a 1/4 inch indentation that looks like it should be carved out but only has a tiny hole about the size that a thumb tack would make! (See picture below).
    I've tried recording sound and video with and without the case, and the recordings with the case are quite muffled and fuzzy.

When I contacted Grove they told me that the tiny hole was normal and that is how all the cases are made. But when I look at their gallery photo this is not what I am seeing! http://www.flickr.com/photos/grovemade/5617699678/in/set-72157626219481238/ I can clearly see that the mic area is carved out.

They offered to let me return the case, but I really do like it, and if the person I emailed is mistaken I really would like to have the case with a proper mic hole.

If you have a Grove iPad case could you look at your case and tell me if you have a real carved-out hole for your mic, or if you just have a tiny pin hole similar to mine?

Thanks!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KECool thread starter macrumors newbie

I just had my question answered by Grove. The photo showing the large mic hole was a prototype from awhile ago and they never sold them. He said he'd take that photo off the site. Apparently they are all sold with the pinhole mic area. A pity! I found that the recording sound on my video and voice recorder was really compromised by the case. I'm trying to decide if I just want to remove the iPad from the case when I need to record, return the case, or if I should attempt to get in there with a drill and improve it myself. Quite a risk! (gulp).