Do you have the right Macbook for YOU?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by one1, Mar 13, 2016.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I pretty much have 1 of everything, like some here. An iMac for the house, MBA for light duty playing around on the go, MBP for work, and so on. I recently picked up a 2008 MB Unibody Aluminum for $200 (I still don't know why these are closing at $400 on ebay) and popped 4gb of ram and an SSD in it. I know they geek bench the same as the MBP the year they were made so it's obvious why apple killed them after less than a year. In fact, I recall the uproar of the blurred lines when they first came out.

It got me thinking that since this MB has no purpose for me, what if I were to use it as a do-all? How would it fare in the real world with the SSD and ram upgrade if I took it to best buy and put it against the base 13" MBP of 2015/16? ......Just using it non-purposefully (no big photoshop, final cut projects). I decided to ignore the bench tests and just USE the MB in best buy side by side with the MBP base model. As you'd expect on lightweight stuff the SSD was quick and the 4gb ram was plenty. Non multi-thread light apps that we all normally use were indistinguishable between the two in speed and the unibody was pretty much a dead wringer side by side in looks. I have to say that it surprised me in Photoshop CS6 running the trial on the MBP and the full version on my MB when doing simple stuff. It was right there with it every click. The SSD is a real sturdy improvement that helped it hold it's own.

This got me thinking, why bother with spending $1,000 on a base MBP when a $200 unibody with an SSD is all many need? Now, leave out the professionals. This is about Joe Q Public. I know we all want the best we can get, but $800 in the pocket is nothing to scarf at when you're only dropping $200 on the MB on craigslist. I wondered if those of us that own MBP's could have done better and just bought what we needed instead.

MacRumors doesn't always help, because every time I read about a new release I want to go buy it RIGHT NOW (lol). Realistically however I bet a large percentage of MBP owners don't use half it's power and ability. Should we always over buy when we buy our Macs? Should we always spend 4 times what we should instead of buying the book we need and nothing more?

Since I have 1 of everything I can't tell you that I could live with just this 2008 Unibody on steroids. My needs are covered already. It was very thought provoking however (and surprising) to see this MB beside the base MBP running just as fast (occasionally faster) on things people use under daily operation and seeing the 5x higher price tag. I wondered..... do we always buy what we really need?

2. laudern macrumors 6502a

I have a 2009 Macbook with 8Gb of ram and 2.5TB of HDD. This is the perfect laptop for me and buying anything else right now would be a major downgrade.

3. DesignG macrumors member

DesignG

I have a 2013 Macbook Pro with 13 Inch Retina display. If I could, I would change it for the 15 Inch model. The extra power for heavy graphic task would be a nice thing...

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'm a high school teacher, and I still use a 1.5GHz 12" PowerBook G4 as my primary machine in my classroom. It does absolutely everything I need it to do; I do my grading, lesson planning, attendance, videos, lectures, etc. it has served me well for many years now, since I myself was in school, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future :)

Get what you need and use it until it doesn't meet your needs any longer!

5. jellybean macrumors regular

I have the new 12" retina MacBook. I started with a 15" MBP, which I bought purely for the larger screen, not because I needed the extra screen real estate but simply because I thought it'd be easier on my eyes and posture. But shortly after purchasing it, extreme buyers remorse set in that I had spent so much money on such a top-of-the-line machine when my computing needs are actually very lightweight. So I returned it within 14 days and figured for the replacement I'd start looking at the bottom of the line and work my way up. I went with the 12" MacBook because it was perfectly suited to my needs without being overkill and because, well, it was really sexy.

Five months on and I couldn't be happier with it. I've not once experienced any lag or slowness whatsoever, which just goes to show that the 15" MBP would've indeed been overkill for me, and I love the butterfly keyboard. :)

6. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Something must be wrong, but I find my 2010 MBP VERY slow. Apps load very slowly with the icon bouncing up and down several times, turbotax hangs (beachballs) and takes forever to update, pages with lots of ads take forever to complete loading, ... Even opening a Word doc takes several seconds, close to 10 sec.

I need an upgrade soon and I'm hoping the rMB will be updated soon.

7. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Install new OS over old? Done a clean install? Sounds like trouble with system and file system.

As a minimum and good place to start run Etrecheck.

The newer SSD uses faster 450MB/s interface that helps, as does 8GB RAM now stock.

8. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Ace2617

I'm planning to get a MacBook Pro, as my MacBook Air is just too small and slightly underpowered. It was fine for what I bought it for, which was to take notes, write my book, and work on articles, etc. It does all of that great. But now what I want to do with it is changing. I want to get into video editing, and I plan on getting the rMBP soon. I may regret it, but then again if I had anticipated wanting to do video editing, I would've just went with the MacBook Pro from the start. I look forward to getting the MBP

9. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestions.

Indeed, I did install a new OS over old, and I also swapped the 128 GB SSD for a 240 GB one. And I just cloned the disk using OS X disk utility before making the swap.

What is a good way to do a clean install? My system recovery disks are from OS 10.6.

Also other than copying user files/folders and iTunes folders, and making a list of apps that I will need to reinstall, is there anything else that I would need to do before doing a clean install.

10. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Carbon Copy Cloner #1 backup, to create bootable system

Migration Assistant has gotten better

Google "Clean install" guides and tips.
    OSXDAILY MacWorld ARS and MacRumors
    Lion DiskMaker to setup USB Installer - name changed but same

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

At the time of purchase, my 2012 15" cMBP was the right device for my needs at the time. Needs change over time, and mine are no exception.

Today, my needs would be fulfilled with an 8GB/512GB rMB. I've been using TeamViewer and/or VPN/RDP for over a year now to access my heavy crunching system remotely. That usage pattern would not be negatively impacted with a rMB. In fact, I've been doing a lot more of that with my iPad Pro over the last couple of months, but there are still some things that need OS X or Windows for what I do.

12. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816