Do you HAVE to activate in-store on the 24th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chriskzoo, Jun 16, 2010.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I knwo that you CAN activate a reserved iPhone on the 24th in the store, but do you HAVE to? I would much rather grab the phone and activate it in the comfort of my own home rather than deal with likely hours of waiting for others to activate.

2. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

According to apples web site:

Can I transfer my current phone number?
    Yes. Your current phone number is transferred to your new iPhone after you receive your iPhone and set it up in iTunes. Then you can start making calls using your current phone number.

3. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

That answers ABSOLUTELY nothing.

All I can provide is I would assume no, if they are shipping them this year for you to activate yourself, I see no reason you can pick up and activate later.

4. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I can tell you that when I went to get my iPAD wifi the guy said "now we can just take it over here and plug it in to activate" and right there I gave him a funny look and asked if I could take it home and he said that would be fine.

So my advice is to tell him upfront that you want to take it home.

5. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

If there's a line you still won't be able to "grab" your phone and go home. You'll still have to wait in the line for those who reserved.

6. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

From the iPhone page on the Apple Store:

Q: Does my iPhone come ready to use?

A: Yes. Your new iPhone arrives ready to start using it. All you have to do is set it up in iTunes. There’s no need to call or visit a store to get started.

7. lasuther macrumors 6502a

AT&T will activate in store, they won't let you do it at home. Unless there is a crash like there was at the 3G launch two years ago.

8. ttech10 macrumors 6502

So yes, they will let you take it home.

9. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, I guess it depends when I pick it up - morning I'll do it in store, after work I'll do it at home.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

This is not true. When I pre-ordered in the store they asked me if I wanted to pick it up in the store or have it shipped to my house. There's no requirement to activate in the store.

11. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not. I really hope you are. I laughed anyway.