Do you have to be good at art to be graphics designer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SolidGun, Jun 22, 2009.

1. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Do you have to be good at art to be graphics designer?

I am not very good at drawing things. However, I am interested in visual art. If I could go back to school, I would do something else completely, but now that I am getting paid fairly well and have a family to support this is a little more difficult.

My first solution is to forget about it, but I have looked around and there are small colleges and community schools that offer night classes for photography and graphics design stuff. I have fulfilled all general requirements from 2 B.S. degrees I have so all I have to do is go to classes at night.

But I don't want to waste my money if artistic talent is a requirement to succeed.

2. iGav macrumors G3

No.

You have to be good at design. ;)

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

4. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

5. BornRuffian macrumors newbie

I was going to school for graphic design(taking a break). It was at the New England School of Art and Design which is a traditional art school pretty much. We have about 8-10 classes that include drawing, and painting that you take before you even take any classes that include graphic design. So it really helps. One of the graphic designer teacher actually only has students do their designs in pencil for a semester before they even touch a computer.

But if you really love graphic design than dont be discouraged by your lack of drawing skills. If you show a lot of determination you will see a lot of improvement. Believe it or not you can learn to draw. Some people are just naturally good at it but others who arnt have to work at it.