Do you HAVE to have a Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LiveForever, Jul 1, 2008.

1. LiveForever macrumors 6502

I'm going to get an iphone but I really don't want a data plan. I want to control my costs and If I sign up with Telstra in Australia for $30 a month plus $299 I can get a 16GB Iphone. This price won't include data (well I doubt it) but just wifi access would do me.

2. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Presently, with the 2.5G iPhone you can cancel the data plan, I did. It is still unknown whether you will be required to keep the data plan with the new 3G iPhone (you are required to have it when you walk out of the store). Since AT&T just brought back the ability to cancel your data plan online under your Accounts page, it would be weird if this same page wouldn't apply to the new iPhone. So, why would they bring back this feature 3 weeks ago, if it won't work after next week for the new iPhone. Will they have 2 separate types of accounts for the 2 types of iPhones? We'll find out soon enough, but I bet you will be able to cancel it if you want.

3. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I just called AT&T. I asked if i could cancel the data plan after purchase. He said no. Not until the contract is up. He said that is the only way to get the phone at the 199 price. I don't get it. The previous post on here says you could cancel with the first iPhone.

I'm on a temporary limited budget right now because i lost my job. So it sucks that i can't disable the data until things get better.:(

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, the first iPhone didn't cost $199.

It costed the full price...

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

The new rates for the iPhone are bundled together, clearly. I makes sense you can not cancel it. AT&T needs to recoup their cost and stop loosing potential customers of the 3G Iphone to other networks by people unblocking them and selling them on eBay.

6. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

There were many folks who were told they couldn't cancel the plan with the previous iPhone too. I had to assure them to keep trying since I was able to. Check this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=486646

Let's just wait and see what happens.

7. Geffen macrumors 6502

You can actually cancel your data plan on the 1st generation iphone? Wont that mess up the visual voicemail features? and wont you have to pay for Edge per mb?

8. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Visual voicemail turns to regular voicemail (the iphone is prepared for this with a new interface). And when not around any wifi you just don't have internet (no "E" in the iphone menubar). I think you can get a pay as you go option, but I didn't. You lose SMS too, btw.