Do you have to make a Genius Bar appointment for an iPhone 5 lock button replacemnet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by L T, May 10, 2014.

1. L T macrumors 6502

L T

With the programme on at the moment, do I have to make a genius bar appointment to get my lock button replaced?

Or can I just walk in?

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It's always best to make an appointment. It really depends on how busy they are. If you walk in, they may try to fit you in, but no guarantees. If it is really busy, you may be waiting a while if you are seen at all.

3. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

The problem I have is, I was meant to be playing cricket today, but that has now been cancelled (lovely English rain!). So I decided to try and get this sorted, the earliest appointment is 4pm. I've tried ringing the store to check, but I just get put I'm hold!

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Do you have to make a Genius Bar appointment for an iPhone 5 lock button repl...

Make one online. Far easier. I know that at my apple store, you need to make a reservation a week in advance because there are no times available

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

They are very busy on the weekends. Appointments are always best and without one your chances on a weekend are slim to none. I do not even like to visit the Apple store in the weekends as it is packed!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They don't do walks ins. That would invariably tick people off if someone sauntered in and had their iPhone worked on while they waited a long time.

7. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I did but I had the problem last summer.

8. clarkn macrumors newbie

Ok so this may either annoy people or please them. But I had my iPhone 5 for about a year and a half. For the past 4 - 5 months I have had the sleep/wake button not work at all. Now two days ago I read about the apple plan to fix them all. And I chucked my serial number in the computer and it said I was eligible for the repair. So today (Saturday) here in Sydney. I was at the shopping centre and decided to drop in and see if could be done.
    I read they are meant to send it away for a few days then it comes back. Any way I go in wait for two mins a genius chick comes up to me and I sign a document. She asked if I backed up my phone. I said yes. I asked how long it will take to be fixed. She says about 30seconds I'm just going to swap the phone. So my battered and bruised phone got wiped. And I got a fresh as a daisy (obviously refurbed) iPhone 5. With not a mark on it.

This is the first time I have had a major issue with an iPhone or Apple product. And I was impressed with the service I got. And this is why I will continue to use their products.

I have an iPhone 5, iPad 2, 2013 iMac 21.5 inch, iPod Classic and Apple TV.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The button issue is seperate from the Genius Bar. I have been to two different Apple Stores. When I asked if I needed an appointment they said no and pointed me to a table specifically for the button issue.

The reason it didn't happen at the first store was because they didn't have any loaner phones.

10. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

I managed to get hold of the store and they asked me to book an appointment and if I go in earlier they may be able to fit me in. I went in half an hour early and they said they may be someone on hand to just do the button replacement and there was. I sat down next to someone and they did them 2 at a time. He tested mine and it worked on the left, middle but not on the right hand side which was enough to qualify for the replacement.

They have loaned me a 16GB iPhone 5 for the time being but in white not the black I had, I rather like the white one!

I've read the loan agreement, it seems that if I don't return the loan phone and collect mine in time then they will take ownership of my phone and I will take ownership of the loan one. Might keep this white one!