Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I personally do not. Sure I'd like a much better keyboard with more shortcuts on the keyboard (tab anyone?) Anyway, I've heard some people simply cannot type on a touch keyboard.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Human should be able to adapt.

Some are better at it than others. With some practice the iPad keyboard does nicely. The alternative is to have a separate BT keyboard. That is not an option for me. :)

Comment

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This is my first iPad and I find the on-screen keyboard to be just fine. I can type on it just about as fast as a normal physical keyboard.

I previously bought the Apple wireless keyboard thinking I might use it with the iPad, but it's turning out to not be the case.

Comment

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I type faster on an iPad. Touch typing is much faster since there are no buttons to depress. If you're a touch typer, the iPad is about as good as it gets. Unfortunately, there is still a tiny bit of lag but it's understandable and I've stopped waiting for the text to catch up because I already know it will autocorrect things and adjust to my typing.

Comment

celinedion1

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
California
I love typing on the iPad and find that i type faster on the iPad then I do on my iMac. I also prefer typing on the iPad over dictation, but it's still nice to have to chat with. :)

Comment

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
I don't like the on-screen keyboard. If I set it to split mode, it's better but it's still a bit unwieldy to hold AND type. Unfortunately there isn't a way to dock the split keyboard all the way at the bottom of the screen (close but not all the way) which I think would probably be ideal for me. I'm far faster on a regular keyboard or an iphone.

Comment

tekchic

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I had to learn to trust the auto-complete while I'm typing, and then edit after writing instead of correcting as I go along. I comfortably take notes in meetings, write in a journal, work on a novel, etc without using my Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard while I'm on the go. If I'm at home and trying to hit a word count for the day or something, then I might bring out the bluetooth keyboard.

Another colleague has an iPad with the Zagg Folio keyboard and can't type on the screen at all, he has to use that keyboard. For me, after nearly 2 years of iPad ownership, I learned to ditch the bluetooth keyboard and make the soft keyboard work. I can type as fast as the guy next to me in meetings, directly on the screen. ;)

Comment

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
No trouble at all. This is my first iPad, and after typing on an iPhone for a couple of years, the iPad's keyboard is a huge relief.

Comment

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
It's OK. I use my iPad as my main notebook, so when I take a lot of notes I use a Logitech external keyboard. I send short emails and browse the web and such with the virtual keyboard.

In general, I'm not too impressed by the iPad keyboard. My Android phone allows for a third party keyboard that increases typing speed with about 80% compared my iPad. I think Apple is lagging behind in that one area. Otherwise I love my iPad.

Comment

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
iit's ok. i prefer to use an external keyboard + incase origami combination. it's quite nice, especially for a touch typist. i get about half the speed and twice the errors with the virtual keyboard. yeah, i know some people poo poo the idea of an external keyboard, but whatever. it works for me.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.