Do you have troubles typing on the iPad keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny Steps, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

I personally do not. Sure I'd like a much better keyboard with more shortcuts on the keyboard (tab anyone?) Anyway, I've heard some people simply cannot type on a touch keyboard.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Human should be able to adapt.

Some are better at it than others. With some practice the iPad keyboard does nicely. The alternative is to have a separate BT keyboard. That is not an option for me. :)

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is my first iPad and I find the on-screen keyboard to be just fine. I can type on it just about as fast as a normal physical keyboard.

I previously bought the Apple wireless keyboard thinking I might use it with the iPad, but it's turning out to not be the case.

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I type faster on an iPad. Touch typing is much faster since there are no buttons to depress. If you're a touch typer, the iPad is about as good as it gets. Unfortunately, there is still a tiny bit of lag but it's understandable and I've stopped waiting for the text to catch up because I already know it will autocorrect things and adjust to my typing.

5. celinedion1 macrumors member

I love typing on the iPad and find that i type faster on the iPad then I do on my iMac. I also prefer typing on the iPad over dictation, but it's still nice to have to chat with. :)

6. tranceFusion macrumors member

I don't like the on-screen keyboard. If I set it to split mode, it's better but it's still a bit unwieldy to hold AND type. Unfortunately there isn't a way to dock the split keyboard all the way at the bottom of the screen (close but not all the way) which I think would probably be ideal for me. I'm far faster on a regular keyboard or an iphone.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I had to learn to trust the auto-complete while I'm typing, and then edit after writing instead of correcting as I go along. I comfortably take notes in meetings, write in a journal, work on a novel, etc without using my Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard while I'm on the go. If I'm at home and trying to hit a word count for the day or something, then I might bring out the bluetooth keyboard.

Another colleague has an iPad with the Zagg Folio keyboard and can't type on the screen at all, he has to use that keyboard. For me, after nearly 2 years of iPad ownership, I learned to ditch the bluetooth keyboard and make the soft keyboard work. I can type as fast as the guy next to me in meetings, directly on the screen. ;)

9. Russell L macrumors regular

Russell L

No trouble at all. This is my first iPad, and after typing on an iPhone for a couple of years, the iPad's keyboard is a huge relief.

10. jojoba macrumors 68000

It's OK. I use my iPad as my main notebook, so when I take a lot of notes I use a Logitech external keyboard. I send short emails and browse the web and such with the virtual keyboard.

In general, I'm not too impressed by the iPad keyboard. My Android phone allows for a third party keyboard that increases typing speed with about 80% compared my iPad. I think Apple is lagging behind in that one area. Otherwise I love my iPad.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

iit's ok. i prefer to use an external keyboard + incase origami combination. it's quite nice, especially for a touch typist. i get about half the speed and twice the errors with the virtual keyboard. yeah, i know some people poo poo the idea of an external keyboard, but whatever. it works for me.

12. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000