Do You Have VERIZON? Do You Have an Android Phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Mar 9, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So I recently started working over at Best Buy and have noticed how many Android phones well sell. Though the iPhone reigns supreme, not a day goes by when numerous customers come in asking about the latest Android phone on their network. Right now it's the Devour on Verizon and the Backflip on AT&T.

I have an old phone, the original EnV phone, which is an old phone by today's standards. I'd love to surf the web and all that stuff, but am seriously curious as to what the response would be concerning an Android phone, among an Apple oriented forum where the iPhone is considered the best phone.

I've owned an iPod Touch before in the past (sold it for the Flip Mino HD) and love all the apps and how easily I could get my email, calendar, +all the apps. The downside I noticed today was when a fellow co-worker with an iPhone wanted to show me a movie trailer online and it took forever to load.

Truthfully, the main 2 things impacting my decision would be:

1. The camera (I take a lot of photos, a lot.)
    2. Some sort of GTD app. On the iPod Touch I used the OmniFocus app which synced up nicely with the OmniFocus on my Mac version.

2. mac88 macrumors 6502

I have a HTC Droid Eris and on a whole I like it, the key word is like not LOVE. The picture quality (in my opinion) is alright. Put it this way, I don't take a picture and then say to myself that the image is awesome. I'll be honest though, the call quality/signal is somewhat lacking. I get a lot of lost signals and dropped calls when I never did with my previous phone (Motorola Q Series). I live just south of Boston and the 3G/signal strength has always been quite strong. Do your research and buy what will suite your needs. Good luck! :D

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have Verizon as a carrier.

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I have a Motorola Droid on the Verizon network. I got the phone back in November and it has been rock solid. The iPhone is not even a choice for me. It is not available in the state where I live. AT&T doesn't do business here.

With that said, I think Android is a great alternative choice and it is not surprising that so many people are interested in it. At the end of January, Motorola announced they sold about 2 million Droid's so I figure that number is probably closer to 3 million now. Sure those numbers are not close to the iPhone's numbers, but if you take the Droid sales and add in all of the other Android offerings I'd say they are really gaining in popularity.

The best Android handsets right now are the Droid and Nexus One. There are several other lower end models like the Devour that are worth a look. I think Android is going to really take off in 2010 with all of the new models coming on scene and with Android becoming a brand that customers recognize. I don't see anything stopping this unless Apple wins the case against HTC. That could throw a roadblock into rapid Android growth. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

4. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I've got the Droid. I love it.

However, the moment the iPhone comes out on VZW, I will be switching to it - in the middle of a contract or not.

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

There are quite a few awesome Android phones in the pipeline for various carriers...

Dell Mini 5 aka Streak - probably AT&T
    HTC Legend - Sprint
    HTC Supersonic - Verizon
    HTC Desire - AT&T

There are more, but I'm lazy.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Has that been confirmed? Because if AT&T gets the Desire I will be so excited I might need to change my pants.

All I know is I've got $500 for the first company to bring a decent Android phone to the US that supports AT&T's 3G bands.

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

It's really looking that way at the moment. I know the European version has the proper bands to work on AT&T.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm really excited for the Dell Streak and the Nexus One is always a good choice.

And if you don't want to leave big red, the N1 should be coming sometime this spring.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm just worried that all AT&T Android phones will be locked into Yahoo and loaded with AT&T junkware (like the backflip)

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I don't want to steer the thread off course (plenty of discussion about this in the iPhone forum OP fyi) but I have to say it:

iPhone is not coming to Verizon anytime soon. Their anti-iPhone and anti-AT&T commercials as of late threw that one out.

The other thing is iPhone isn't going to be built for a network-style that is exclusively American. The current iPhone build can be shipped worldwide! Why have two separate batches of iPhones being made? They can mass produce the same iPhone and ship it worldwide.

/speech