Do you have your own blog?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blurredline, Sep 26, 2008.

1. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

Hey all! Did a search on this, found nothing recent or really related.

I just wanted to ask and discuss blogs! My question to all of you is, do you have your own personal blog or write for a blog? Do you do it part or full-time? Do you earn any revenue from it? What is it focused on, and is it popular/have much traffic?

I am personally thinking of starting to blog for the sake of my appeasing my own interest and curiosity of the blogging world:) Just wanted to ask you all if you too are in that world or interested...

2. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

I have a Mac-focused blog that has tips and tricks and solutions and what not.

Recently I've been getting into Wordpress development so some of the pages that draw the most visitors are for my plugins.

Like Arnold Kim said, "if you have traffic, you will make money". I'm still working on building that traffic so revenue right now is nil, but I never really got into this for the money.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I do too, mine is done in my own time and i don't make money from it - I am just a beginner at this blogging stuff. So i am using iWeb for it. Has cool templates.

The blog is in my signature. It's mostly a place to share ideas or vent some frustration.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I have never understood the interest in blogs. :confused:

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont have a blog because i dont know what to write about and dont know how to get traffic. i wouldnt have an Apple or Mac focused blog becuase i think for me it would just be too boring and not draw a crowd (no offence MacRumors :D) BECUASE i dont have any connections and would be dark in the rumors.

i think the hardest thing about starting a blog is to get traffic and comments. i see lots of blogs with good info and stories its just theres absolutely no comments. how do you get more people notice your blog and then participate? MacRumors news doesnt need to do much in terms of traffic now but im presuming a lot was done in the early stages to increase popularity.

6. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

Those are good points, rich. It's a nice feeling when someone takes time to comment on something you've written. THe reason I started a blog was so that I didn't have to answer constant "how do you do this with a Mac?" questions. Now I just direct them to the website :D

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Photoblog in my sigline.

To those who say they don't see the point in blogs - couldn't the mainpage of this site www.macrumors.com technically be qualified as a blog?

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ yeh the news and rumours part of MacRumors is a blog and then the comments on the blog are the forums. then there are other sections in the forum too (but you probably already knew that :p)

thanks! those were just the thoughts i had when i read this thread. i just need to figure out how to get traffic and what other topics i would need to write about (obviously still write about tech and Apple :D) to keep that traffic interested. then once you have a crowd you could make money off advertising or even better another popular blog could buy some of your stories.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The New York Times called Macrumors a blog.

10. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

but mr isn't a blog right? a blog would inject opinion right? whereas a more journalistic/news site would post news events.

i had a short lived blog 10 years ago, then a xanga a few years ago but realized it was more a personal journal than anything else, and if you don't want your business out there don't put it on the net.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

MacRumors is a blog with a forum attached to it.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I do not have a blog, I dont have enough time to write for my paper, these forums and a blog.

13. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i still don't think mr is a blog

it's like an apple news/rumor site with forums

14. blurredline thread starter macrumors 6502

blurredline

Thanks for all these replies! Good to see all of your thoughts. All of those wondering about how to drive traffic, definitely check out ProBlogger for a lot of information on getting people to a blog and how to eventually make money on that. I think I want to start a Mac blog, and can devote enough time to have it as a part-time gig. I think there just has to be a LOT of research done on how/what to do when first starting out as a blogger.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have a devblog that I occasionally post 'life' stuff in, but usually related to my work or a rather tasty sandwich I just had (which is inturn related to games).
    With some splashings of other bits, working on a little article now about how much slower the game mechanics of Pokemon Pearl is compared to Ruby and FireRed. Yea...

16. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

For those who lose interest in blogs because of traffic is difficult to gain, just remember that with quality content, people will come. Make sure Google can do it's job properly, add links from sites like MR forums, and you'll be good to go.

17. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

My blogs are really more of a journaling activity for me and less about other readers. I do three;

1. One that relates to my profession and interest in technology
    2. One that is a "food/cooking" blog
    3. One that relates to one of my other hobby's

Three is a bit much particularly when I try and record a podcast for two of them at least once every two weeks (it really needs to be weekly) and I work 50-60 hours a week :)

Revenue? Oh sure - I think I am on a run-rate to earn about $ 100 dollars this year from Google Adwords. :) yeah not about the money at all, just a way to listen to myself and write.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

19. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

Here is mine!
    As for traffic, I do get like 16 views a day, and over 2000 so far. So FAR SO GOOD!

I am the Song of the South & Splash Mountain creator. It's pretty useful.

[​IMG]

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My visitor numbers vary, but the average seems to be 400 a day. Yet no comments. Probably just people sneaking in to download my games.

21. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I have a year old blog that I don't contribute to anymore. I did get a $100 check from Google for the AdSense ads I had on it though - that was cool. It probably averages about .25 cents a day.

22. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Well, I did what I thought I would Never do. I created a Myspace page. Mostly at the invite of a dear friend. :rolleyes: