Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm considering buying a domain and creating a website. Of what? Beats me.

Still though, kinda exciting (in an odd way), to have your own portal to the Internet...aside from the Facebook and Twitter realms; though who knows.. Yours may be linked to them.

Id love ideas.

I'm not really selling anything. Just wanna have a site. lol.

Maybe YouTube videos? A blog of sorts? A tumblr?

..:rolleyes:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I'm having one. Did it last year and it was partly about having some fun as I never did sth. like it before.

But seriously, I consider it as a platform I use to present some works I've done/will do and because the
domain got free. I'll change content everytime I feel like it - general design is very minimal though. I need to wait a year or so then I can use it 100% professional.

For now some friends check it or they show it to some other people (and mourn because I exchanged content already). Nothing big...for now

Last edited:

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm having one. Did it last year and it was partly about having some fun as I never did sth. like it before.

But seriously, I consider it as a platform I use to present some works I've done/will do and because the
domain got free. I'll change content everytime I feel like it - it's very minimal though. I need to wait a year or so than I can use it fully professional though.

So you're saying you have a site, but don't update it often and rather just let the site be?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
So you're saying you have a site, but don't update it often and rather just let the site be?

err, no the opposite. it's not a blog though, I exchange instead of adding stuff.

Maybe to clarify: I'm an architect but we do have to work professionally for minimum two years after graduation so that we can call ourselves officially architect. So when I did a competition for example, I put parts of it on my site (a nice drawing, image, etc.)..or other things that I did and like. I exchange or add stuff randomly whenever I feel like it, (every 1-2 months, always depends). In half a year I can use it as an 'official' homepage.
There's also the possibility to use it as a portfolio if needed.

Last edited:

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I'm considering buying a domain and creating a website. Of what? Beats me.

Still though, kinda exciting (in an odd way), to have your own portal to the Internet...aside from the Facebook and Twitter realms; though who knows.. Yours may be linked to them.

Id love ideas.

I'm not really selling anything. Just wanna have a site. lol.

Maybe YouTube videos? A blog of sorts? A tumblr?

..:rolleyes:

I have one, but I don't really use it the normal sense. I use it mostly for large file storage and images that I link to posts. Also, I've made some friends their own FTP account and installed Piwigo MySQL app and they upload their pictures as a online photo album and also as a storage. Good thing is that you can actually send photos via FTP from the iPhone.

I use dreamhost and have 2 registered domains but only 1 that is hosted. I just wanted to secure that one domain, just in case. Dreamhost is great - $9.99/year for Domain Registration and $10.99/mo for basic hosting.

Oh, and other thing.. I installed GMail Google Apps so I was able to create email address with my domain and view them using the GMail interface.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
I have a blog for my projects I make (see sig). I have one for my computer repair and freelance design business. I have one for my online store. I have one for my state's internet safety information site that I did a few years ago. I have about four other domains that are currently parked until I think of ideas to use them for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.