Do you hear the ringtone through the headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STC, Sep 19, 2008.

1. STC macrumors 6502a

Just recently I noticed that when I'm listening through the headphones and the phone rings, I dont hear the ringtone through the headphones.

The music does turn off, but noo ringtone comes through the headphones.
    I used to be able to hear the ringtone through the headphones.

Anyone else exp this?

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

3. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok so you hear the ringtone through the headphones?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly I believe I do. Now I had to recently switch from my Vmoda vibe duos to my apple issued ear phones, but I was at the gym yesterday and a call came through ... to the best of my recollection I heard a ring. Once I am thru with my 2-hour backup of my iphone I will test. I am also running the 2.0.1 software.

5. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it wasnt. I just did a test.
    -With the silent switch OFF, w/ headphones in the ringtone comes through the speaker. Without headphones, it rings through the speaker too.
    -With the silent switch ON, w/ headphones in the ringtone comes through the headphones. Without headphones, the phone just vibrates.

This is weird because I never put the phone on vibrate only and I used to hear the ringtone through the headphones.

Im on 2.1 btw.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just tested it. Apple ear phones, v 2.0.1 software. Called myself & yes, the phone without a doubt rang in my ear.

Now I'm bothered because if this isn't the case with 2.1 then I'm not upgrading.

I'm also on the 1st gen phone.

7. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was your phone on silent when u tested it?

8. dranakin macrumors 6502

2.1 fixed the issue of ringing both through the headphones and speaker.

EDIT: Or if you prefer, took away the feature of simultaneous ringing because 'Apple knows best.'

EDIT 2: Looks like I was wrong. I just assumed this was the case given that the above posters were still on 2.0.2.

9. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I figured it out. For some reason, my ringtone was really really low in the headphones, so I had to cover my ears w/ my hands to hear it.
    This has been going on for about a 2 or 3 weeks. When I upgraded to 2.1 last night, I hope it would fix it.
    2.1 still have simulatenous ringing in headphones and speaker.

10. dranakin macrumors 6502

Huh, well I'll be.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

My current 3G as well as my original iPhone ring through the earphones (I use UE 11 Pro's) without ringing through the bottom speaker when they are plugged in and it is quite loud.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I hear the ringtone through my headphones.

v1 iPhone, 2.1 firmware.

13. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I hear my ringtone through the earphones and out loud on my 3G 2.1 if the earphones are connected.

14. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

How did you get it to ring only in the headphones w/o Silent on?

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I just plug them in and don't change the silent switch.

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I should point out that when my headphones are plugged in, it rings in my ear and NOT out loud. When the headphones are unplugged, naturally the phone rings out loud.

When the silent switch is on, the phone ONLY vibrates, regardless of headphone status.

17. dvanwinkle macrumors newbie

Check the Volume!

This is a really easy thing to overlook. The iPhone OS stores a couple different volume settings. The ringer volume through the headphones is completely different than the ringer volume through the speaker. This also means that the silencer switch does not affect the ringer volume through the headphones, as it is only a silencer for the external speaker.

To hear the ringer through the headphones, stop all music from playing, exit the iPod application if you are in it (go to the main screen if you want to be certain), and then increase the volume with the volume buttons on the side. You should see the volume level of your "ringer (headphones)".

Hope this helps!

18. iKungFu macrumors newbie

iKungFu

Ultimate confusion

Anyone been listening to the same song set as their ringtone when they receive a call? Confusing!

19. dvanwinkle macrumors newbie

Many Times

Haha, I have actually tried to answer my phone when my "ringer" song comes on seeing as my ringer goes from the beginning of the song...

20. jeremykyle macrumors regular

2.2.1 iPhone 3g - Mine rings through both the speaker and the headphones with the silent switch off, but only through the headphones with the silent switch on.