Do you keep 3G/4G on when you're using wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 29, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Do you think keeping your 4G on even though you're using wifi makes any difference to battery life? i switch my 4G off when at home on wifi as i found with android phones it did have an affect on battery life but thinking now after getting 15 hours usage and 33 hours standby i should just leave it on ha

2. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I usually leave it on, since I don't want to tinker with settings.
    Can't say that I've toggled cellular on/off while on wifi, but I think i'll try that today. It's probably not going to make any difference since when I'm in wifi, I usually have a power cable attached to the iphone.

3. unclemax macrumors regular

I was curious about the same back in the day when I got my first iPhone. First of all, I eventually figured out that going to settings every time you leave Wi–Fi area is just OCDish and a hassle, and it’s not worth it just because of that. Second, my observation is that it might affect battery life, but does not affect it dramatically. Actually the contrary can (in certain scenarios) – having your Wi–Fi on while out and about, because if the Wi–Fi is on, your phone is searching for networks every now and then, every time you use it, every time you’re using navigation… But again, I only ever switch Wi–Fi off if I absolutely must preserve battery (e.g. I’m in another city and don’t know when I’ll have access to the outlet)

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't think it makes much of a difference at all unless you struggle for reception wherever you are. I'm unsure how wifi filling effects this (in terms of the struggling for reception bit). Ideally it would just prioritize the wifi connection at all times and not eat battery attempting to find another signal.

5. flur macrumors 68000

I'm sure it makes a difference, but I leave it on, just like I leave wifi on, because I can't be bothered to fuss with it every time I go in and out of my house.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have unlimited data. So, your question to me would sound like this: "Do you think keeping your WiFi on even though you're using 4G/LTE makes any difference to battery life?"

I leave my WiFi off unless I am forced to use it. I'm paying Sprint (and very soon T-Mobile) over $200 dollars a month for cellular service. I am not paying them for WiFi. I pay Cox Communications for that.

And yes, it does affect battery (leaving WiFi on) although it's probably minimal.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL, that's what a jailbreak and Activator are for. :D

8. flur macrumors 68000

Again, can't be bothered. Seems like a massive waste of time to have a few extra minutes of battery life on a phone that lasts all day anyway.

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I turn off my cellular data when I have wifi. For me I'm on a fam. shared data plan for 3 lines for 3 GB. So That means 1 GB per line. So I prefer not to go over my data. I only turn cellular data on when I absolutely need it when there is no wifi available.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I leave both cellular data and wifi on 24/7. I never notice a difference in battery by toggling either off.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL. I'm not saying do it. I'm just making a comment about how it can be made to happen without user intervention. I know because I set this up for my wife on her jailbroken 6.

When she leaves WiFi, Activator switches on Cellular Data and LTE automatically. When she enters WiFi, Activator switches Cellular Data and LTE off automatically.

Activator lets you make tons of choices. Not that it matters here.

My wife has been having terrible issues holding calls at home because Sprint can't get it's crap together with 800mhz and the 6 is using 800mhz for voice instead of 3G/1x. So the solution is WiFi for her data (on our home network) and 3G for calls/texting. We have a Sprint Airave at home so that puts a 3G femtocell right in the house - which her 6 does not connect to at all if Cellular Data/LTE are on.

But my wife is not one to fool with this herself and has very short patience for things like this. So…I automated it.

12. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

At work now on wifi and will keep 4G on and see if it makes any difference in my stats