Do you keep a backup of your emails off 'the cloud'

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Philgr, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Philgr macrumors regular

I have some rules set up in mail (as i assume most of you have) to sort emails into folders, these folders appear on 'the cloud' but with all the problems that have been going on with MobileMe i was thinking about keeping a duplicate set of folders on my Mac and doubling up the folders and the rules just to be safe.

What do people think, Yes or No, or is there another solution to keep your emails safe and avail ??

Thanks in advance

Phil G

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Of course.... back them up if your mails are so important! I have 2 measures....

1. Mail.app configured and backed up using TM
    2. All mails forwarded to a gmail account!

3. Maxington macrumors 6502

This works for me as well. Always better to have backups.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I move mail I need/want to save to a folder "On My Mac."

5. TLewis macrumors 65816

Backups are always a good idea, regardless of the service provider (MobileMe, gmail, ymail, etc.).

Going off on a slight tangent (the following is for the lurkers out there, as Philgr is likely already using IMAP):
    I recommend that you make sure that you're using IMAP instead of POP3 to access your mail. While you can make backups using POP3, only IMAP will allow you to actually put email back onto the server, should you ever have to restore from backup.​