Do You Keep Music or Videos on your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appleguy123, Apr 9, 2011.

?

Do you store music or movies on your iPad?

1. No. I store that in my other devices.

18.0%
  2. Yes. I store movies and music on my iPad.

56.0%
  3. I store only music on my iPad.

9.0%
  4. I store only movies on my iPad.

17.0%
  1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I've found that I actually don't store any media(beside apps) on my iPad. For music, I have an iPhone. For movies I have my Mac(and I don't watch a lot of movies).
    What do you store on your iPad?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I have 6,615 songs (40.86 GB) and 4 movies converted from Blu-ray (so they are as high-def as possible) on my iPad -- and the rest of my HD movies are accessible via Air Video Server from my home.

If they made a 128 GB iPad, I'd buy it.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

How do you listen to the music? With speakers, or with headphones? What does it do that makes you use it instead of your iPhone?

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sometimes speakers, sometimes headphones. Depends on where I am.

And what it does is store ALL of my music. There's no 64 GB iPhone yet.

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Long before iPhones and iPads, I began amassing my music collection on iTunes. It grew much larger than the iPod I had so I put it on my PowerBooks. Then I got a bigger iPod, and before I knew it my collection of music was so big that I put it on my desktop Mac. Now well organized into a large number of cataloged play lists, I load a few on my iPhone, and quite a few on my iPod Classic.

I use my iPad 2 for web browsing and a few light games. I tried using it for e books but it's horrid compared to my Kindle.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I don't keep music on my iPad...but I definitely keeps movies on it. I watch them while I'm extremely board at work (don't tell my boss) and when I'm traveling.

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

+1 this is about how I use my iPad. Makes it cheap to upgrade every year(been happy with 16gb since April 3, 2010).

8. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

Oh yes, I have both. I have a playlist that I titled "iPad" and I change it up every few weeks. I dont see the need for my entire collection. And I have 2 movies loaded up that I change once a month. Right now I have TS3 for my son and Tron :)

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Have about 5 high def movies, a couple gigs of music, numerous magazines, a couple of books and about 10 gigs of apps. Gotta love the iPad for viewing magazines and books in full color and at 10". The Kindle is horrid for reading magazines. :D

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

That reminds me, I keep my movies, music video's and other multimedia files along with my music library all on my new Mac Pro, loading a few movies onto my 11" MBA for those times when I'm flying to the UK for work.

11. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, how many apps = 10 gigs?

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

While I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 apps, it depends on the size of the app. Some are small, just a few megs, while some are 500+megs.

13. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

I've got about 15 gigs of music and a couple of films on mine, but for the most part I just use iTunes home sharing to stream it.

If it weren't for that I'd have gone for the 64GB iPad instead of the 32GB one.

14. aleni macrumors 68020

only a classic and relax playlists on the iPad for the good mood booster in the morning, videos are accessed through air video so i dont have to convert all of my avi files, and maybe 1-2 movies on it for watching while on travel.

God bless air video.

15. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

No. I use my iPod Nano and Creative Vision M for music. And also have it on my laptop and my work desktop in the office.

Videos I've never gotten into digital copies etc. I'm a big movie fan and pretty much don't want to watch on anything smaller than my 50" TV so I usually don't watch movies on planes etc. I'll take my Kindle and read.

16. bmat macrumors 6502

i watch videos all the time. but i rarely listen to music. but i keep both on my ipad.

17. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

I don't own an iPad yet, but I plan on purchasing one soon. I'm not planning to put my music on it, except maybe a few playlists. I have over 56 gigs of tunes. I had a 64 gig iPod touch, but it met the business end of a parking lot. Right now I'm rocking my old 30 gig iPod (the first video-capable one). Cutting down your portable music by half is an interesting experience.

My eventual plan is to buy a new iPod classic for my entire library. I'm going to hold out until either A) the rumored 220 gig classic launches, or B) the iPod classic gets discontinued and the 160 gig model's price drops. I'll use my iPad for iPad things, and I think I'm going to get an iPhone to do iPhone things.

But I'd buy a 128 gig iPad if it was an option. That was one of my biggest disappointments in the revision.

Oh, and I forgot to address videos: The only videos I have on my iPod at all are lectures from iTunes U. I might put a few movies on my iPad, but I don't think I'll have that many on there.

18. bocomo macrumors 6502

I use audiogalaxy to stream music from my desktop (from anywhere), so i don't store any music on the ipad itself

19. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Yes, but not sure why

Movies: Yes--great on planes, and I travel a lot.
    Music: Yes, but not at all sure why. Never used it yet, preferring my iPhone for this use. Will delete if I end up needing more room.

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I used to keep a lot of video and music on my iPad, but since 4.3 brought streaming from my Home Share, I generally don't keep that much on either my iPad or my iPhone any more, and just put enough media onto them to last me when I'm away from home.

21. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

Okay, so I actually don't have an iPad 2 yet. I'm still waiting on my order placed on 9 March!

I suspect that when I do get my iPad that I would primarily store some music and photos on it. I don't see myself storing videos on it. For one thing, syncing via USB 2 is just way too slow for movies! I remember when I had the original iPod 5GB it synced via FireWire and boy was that thing reliable and fast for syncing! Unfortunately, Apple has done away with FireWire on any iDevice and now we're stuck with not only slow USB 2 interface but also CPU hogging USB. I have an underpowered first generation MacBook Air and yes syncing via USB can be slow not only because it is USB but also because my MBA is a bit underpowered. So no, won't be putting any movies on iPad 2.

22. rovex macrumors 65816

Honestly, if you managed your music library better, 64 gigs would suffice.

I'll take a guess and say you haven't listened to every single song.

23. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I have a couple of my playlists on the iPad just in case, but I think I need to follow your lead instead. I don't need that much music on it (just a handful of my most favorite songs), and maybe a couple of soundtracks I listen to sometimes while writing.

24. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

70% of my 64GB iPad 3G are Music Videos, TV Shows & Movies.

I only have less than 10GB of Music and the rest are Photos & Apps.