Do you keep push on or off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loskickking23, Jul 25, 2008.

1. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Can someone please explain the push feature.Im really just starting to pay attention to push due to some of the threads saying that your battery lasts longer with it off.I also want to know who keeps it on and why and who keeps it off and why.It would help me decide if I need mine on or not.

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

m pretty sure push is where your email is sent to your phone the same time as it's sent to your computer, rather than fetch which is where your iphone will look, as often as you set, for new emails. i keep push on at all times and i fetch once an hour. my .mac account gets pushed to me but my gmail does not. and i don think that pushing and fetching effect the battery life much at all. i still get about 12 hours of regular use. but since its new, i find it hard to put down. i play with the thing very often.

3. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I'd turn it off. Push e-mail is well known as a battery suck on most 3G devices. I gave up using Blackberry Connect on my ATT Tilt because it cut my battery life (and system performance) in half. I've left it off (along with location services -- another battery suck) on my iPhone 3G and am enjoying decent battery life right out of the box (i.e., with no conditioning).

4. trunksu macrumors 6502

i leave my on even though i don't have a mobile.me nor exchange account on. the reason is i just want to get used to the battery life when the next major OS patch comes out.

2.1.x supposedly will have PUSH for apps like AIM, Mobilechat etc so i figure might as well get used to it. if you don't have a mobile.me or exchange account and REALLY need to preserve your battery life just turn it off. i honestly don't know how much battery life it will save though.

5. trunksu macrumors 6502

i should also add that i have no idea if "push" drains more battery every time a message comes through it.

6. rioja macrumors regular

Push definitely drains the battery. I didn't think it did at all until we got hosted Exchange accounts at work this week. "Finally!!!" I thought.. only problem is my battery is now only lasting one day :(

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I was thinking about this push stuff. I wonder how it is implemented. I can't imagine they would have the iPhone always connected to a server via TCP listening for messages. I would think it would operate more in the way SMS does. Somehow a message or specially formated SMS is sent on the data / control channel to the phone which then causes it to connect out and get what ever needs to be updated. If that is how it works it should not really drain the battery much more than SMS except for the short time it gets the updated data.

8. trunksu macrumors 6502

wait so your phone BEFORE push lasted longer than a day? :confused:

9. rioja macrumors regular

Yup, I use to get 2 days out of it. Unlocked & Jailbroken 2G (without Cydia installed).

I don't understand it either because it used pull for Gmail, checking every 15 minutes. Now using Exchange to push email, contacts and calendar I get 1 day... from about 7am-6pm.

I had thought that pull was suppose to be the battery hog, not push.

10. bep207 macrumors 6502

push may not be the worst decision for me
    otherwise I fetch over and over and over

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I keep it off. I just prefer to check it myself

When MobileMe gets up and running, I will do Push

12. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I was excited to get push for my calendar and email, but I've gone to manual sync because I don't get a signal in my office anyway and the email checks every time I look at it.

I keep push off and only turn on location and wifi when needed, so I'm getting good battery life (about five hours of mixed use and 12-15 hours of standby) before seeing the 10% warning.

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I have push enabled for my gmail account. It's set to check every hour. I find it useful, since I'll sometimes forget to check my e-mail and push delivers the e-mail to me.
    Another way to save battery life is to take your phone off 3g and keep it on edge for the majority of the time.

Esther

14. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you're describing fetch, not push. Push doesn't have a time interval as messages and data arrive as soon as it's available on the server. Fetch follows a schedule to automatically check for new data, whether there is any or not.

Turning off 3G is good advice for saving the battery if speed is not needed.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Thanks for the correction. Yes, I meant fetch.

Esther

16. WHM macrumors regular

I leave it on..... it was one of the main features with the roll out with the new 3G... I like instant email. I charge the iphone at night when needed and have a charger in my car and extra charger at the office. My iCal has become my sticky notes... when I need to remember something I enter it on my calander from the phone and when I reach the office or home it's right there... A life saver for me....

17. ec51 macrumors 6502

PUSH will only work if you have push support (aka NOT gmail) like an exchange server, mail2web, yahoo...etc.

Fetch, will effect your battery if you have it fetch more often.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, that's the way it's done. "Push" is simply a Pull with a long (5-45 minute) response timeout.

1) Phone sends request over TCP/IP with a timeout and then waits for reply.

Then one of the following happens...

2a) Server replies whenever mail is available before the timeout. Goto (1)
    2b) Server replies even though no mail, but timeout is about to occur. Goto (1)
    2c) Server doesn't reply in time because connection dropped. Phone lowers timeout. Goto (1)

Most carriers drop unused connections after 30 minutes, which is why "Push" must repeat its request if no server mail response comes in the meantime.

You're exactly correct that using SMS would use the least battery. And that's the way Exchange Push originally worked, but it was kind of before its time. SMS was unreliable and cost money. So they changed to the delayed response Pull as outlined above, which is also used by most other "push" email schemes.

19. ssajous macrumors member

Don't do push!!

The push feature is worthless to me. It drains the battery so fast and the phone gets as hot as an iron.