Do you know how I can make my iPhone camera better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lovemyipad, May 13, 2010.

1. lovemyipad macrumors member

I went to see the dalai lama yesterday so naturally I wanted to take a picture of him on the stage.

So I pull out my iPhone 3G, hit the camera app, & to my dismay the whole stage was whited out because of all the lights. I couldn't see anything and could not take a picture.

To my further dismay,

the guy sitting in front of me pulls out his droid and zooms in on the stage, the camera automatically adjusts the lights on stage so that it didn't look like a big white blur, & he takes a couple photos.

Any tips?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Get a 3GS which has the ability to zoom?

Or wait til June for the new model.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

3GS doesn't have zoom, only tap to focus. Zoom is coming in 4.0 to the 3GS.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

There are several camera apps out there. You'd want to look for one with zoom and/or exposure control.

And don't get the 3Gs....the the 4G or whatever it will be called.

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Yeah, unfortunately for variable lighting conditions like what's found on a stage, a standalone camera is going to be the only good way to get a decent picture. Any of the existing iPhone models out now just ain't gonna cut it.

7. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

That's too bad. I was so mad when that guys droid got the job done. I wanted to scream lol.

But atleast I don't have a big bulky useless keyboard hehe.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Camera's on phones are generally quite poor given their tiny CCD, regardless of how many pixels, the sensor size is what matters. The iPhone 3g being nearly two years old will certainly be a very poor performer compared to any current generation phone. It's not an android thing, nor is there anything you can do to make it better.

One selling point for smartphones is camera performance. Some phone makers put a lot of thought into making sure they're using the best components available, others just throw a camera on a phone and call it a day.

My point photography, image quality is a huge deal for you, then make sure when you investigate a new phone that's high on your list.

As for meeting the dalai lama and only have your iPhone, that's kind of poor planning isn't it? Wouldn't you be better served with a regular camera, as most if not all digital cameras outperform phone cameras hands down.

9. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

cameras aren't allowed otherwise I'd have taken one but people were still taking pics with their phones.

Usu. the iPhone camera is plenty for me. I don't take lots of pictures. But this time I guess I lucked out.

The only pictures I generally take are ones that don't need to be good quality. Just "I was there" type pics just for the memory.

I'm more into good sound quality than picture quality, but as cell phones improve their cameras will too

I heard a smartphone with a 12MP camera is coming out! It's running android though :/

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone is notoriously bad in low light situations. I suspect this was probably a factor in the poor performance of the iphone.

11. RJ17 macrumors regular

I have a Droid now and my 3GS took much better pictures. Pretty much did everything better than my Droid does.

12. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

what else does the iPhone do better?

13. RJ17 macrumors regular

Better battery life, easier to use interface, doesn't slow down every time i try to change apps, battery cover didn't fall off, better media integration, better (higher quality) apps. I could probably think of more. While there are things that are better about the Droid, the iPhone experience is superior to any other phone I have owned. I just couldn't stand AT&T and the Droid was the best VZW phone at the time.

14. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

Ah I see. So even though the specs might be a lot better the user experience may not be the same. Makes sense. The iPhone experience is def. a smooth one with the little daily annoyances that technology gives us like slowing down when changing apps or running out of battery too quickly. Bleh.

15. plusonechoi macrumors member

A camera phone will always be a camera phone. no real way to make it that much better, I understand in your case you couldnt bring in any cameras, which is just pretty much i guess youre SOL.