iPhone Do you leave any free space on your iOS device?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Bill Av, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Bill Av macrumors member

With "Nandgate":eek:, and the assertion that completely filling up your iOS device is bad in mind, what's your opinion on leaving free space?
    Yes/no? How much/how little.

I feel that if it were necessary to leave space free on your device, then Apple wouldn't have the "Automatically fill free space with songs" option.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I find that with practically no free space the device can actually suffer in performance somewhat. In any case, I tend to leave at least a couple of GB free.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I am actually just using my phone normally. I'd say if you can afford it, leave at a max 10GB free. 30 minutes of video is like 2GB, and if you were to go edit it down, it will copy itself into the app entirely, so there goes another 2GB.

You need to leave yourself some room to grow anyway.

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I would fill mine but it starts to get too heavy in my pocket. :D

5. Miguel760 macrumors member

Really? I've never heard that filling it up could mess with the phone though i guess it makes sense. I knoe a person above me said to leave at least 10 gb free but thats not that realistic. What is the right amount? Maybe 3gb?

6. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

I tend to leave at least 10GB of free space. Coming from a 32GB iP5, a 64GB 6 Plus has a lot of space to fill, even with 5,000 photos, 70 videos, fifty apps, 2,000 songs and 4 movies, etc., and room for more of each.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think there's a right amount, more of what works for you basically.

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'd say at least 1GB free would be okay. Though I've never had less than 5GB free as of yet. Who knows? I may exceed that since I've ended up with a 16GB (It was a gift).

9. Razeus macrumors 603

I leave 15% of my nominal capacity. Gives me breathing room for apps/games I want to try, iOS updates, and HD video editing.

10. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

16GB iPhone 5, I try to keep at least 2GB free. When iOS updates come out you always seem to need 2-3+ GB free storage. Also, things fill up quickly if you're taking a lot of pictures, messaging photos and not clearing out threads, etc.