iPhone X Do you leave HDR on automatic or leave it permanently on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by felixroqu3, Mar 26, 2018.

1. felixroqu3 macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

I have an iPhone X and will be traveling to Japan soon. Want to have the best possible outcome picture/video wise

2. fred98tj macrumors 6502

Maybe leave hdr on “auto”.
    If you want the “best” you are going to have to photograph in raw and post process. Same for your video, though the “raw”in video is something like flat gamma and log gamma then post process (color grade). :)

Anyway for just normal digital snaps maybe set hdr to “auto”. Try it some before you go on your trip.

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I leave it in auto but I try to correct the exposure if the camera doesn’t automatically quite get it.

4. Helmsley macrumors regular

Helmsley

Auto for me too. The results seem good enough to me.

5. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

This ^^^^

Sometimes HDR looks great, and sometimes it flattens the contrast a little too much. If you want to be sure you have the photos that are the best-looking to your own eyes, the Keep Normal Photo option is worth it. Sort through your photos each night and keep the versions you prefer.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This used to be my answer.

But since I got my 8 I have yet to keep an original over an HDR. I finally turned off the 'keep normal' photo option. They really toned it down.

Nothing wrong with keeping the original. That's just what I've discovered in the last few months.

8. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Plus if you do a Live Photo, you can usually find one you like if the HDR messes it up.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I now just keep it permanently on. Used to have it on auto, but took a few shots when the sky was overcast and it kept refusing to use HDR - there were lots of blown out highlights especially in the sky. No problem when it was switched on manually.