Do you leave your MagSafe plugged in all the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EarthNeutron, Oct 14, 2011.

1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

By plugged in i mean plugged in the power outlet not the mac. Do you? Cause I only plug it in when i need to charge my macbook.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, mine is plugged in at all times. Technically you should unplug it as it will still use a minute amount of power, as far as I'm concerned, paying a few extra cents a year for electricity is not worth the hassle of constantly unplugging it.

3. xdbuix macrumors 6502

i read that the macbook has a built battery manager so overcharging with the Magsafe shouldnt be a problem. I on the other hand, don't like to take risks so I tend to run on the battery and then charge as needed.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah I leave mine plugged into the wall at all times. I don't want to keep taking it out and plugging it back in every time, it would become annoying.

5. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Err I meant keeping your magsafe pugged in not your macbook. Get it?

(The MagSafe has 2 ports: one that goes into the power outlet and the magnetic one that goes in your Mac. By keeping you MagSafe plugged in I meant keeping the port that goes into the power outlet there and not removing it after your Mac has charged)

6. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

These are normally referred to as "endians", there is a big endian and a little endian. ;)

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I have two adaptors that I leave at home (one for my laptop and one for my wife's). Most of the time they stay plugged in, even when the laptops are not attached to them. They use only a minute amount of power, so I don't worry about it.

jW

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Unless, of course, which end you use doesn't matter, in which case it's bi-endian.

9. B.LI, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

B.LI macrumors regular

Yes, I keep my mag safe attached overnight, plus less scratches around the port area :)

10. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I keep mine plugged in to the wall at home, and carry it around only when necessary or if I know my battery's not enough for the job.
    They should totally make a MagSafe case; that little connector snaps too easily...

11. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I leave the magsafe plug in and the power adapter connected to the mains all the time.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I keep it plugged into the wall all the time. No worth taking it out for saving power... If I was worried about electricity I wouldn't have a 35" CRT TV thats never unplugged ;)

13. bniu macrumors 6502a

I've got two MagSafe chargers and a TB Display. One MagSafe is permanently plugged into an outlet in my bedroom, another is always in my bag ready to go and when I'm in my office room, I just use the TB Display to charge my MBP as well as operate in "iMac mode"

14. Resist macrumors 68030

It's very wasteful to keep the MagSafe plugged in all the time, when not connected to a MBP and in use. True that by itself it only uses a small amount of power, but add this to all your other energy vampire devices that drain power when supposedly off (PS3, XBox and such), then it can be a significant amount. Besides, it's not that difficult to just unplug the cord. How lazy have we become?

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Yes, mine is plugged into the wall all the time.

I'm curious, though, so I'm going to plug it into the Kill-A-Watt tonight and see how much power it's pulling when my MBP isn't connected to it.

----------

So do you unplug everything in your house when it's not in use? Coffee makers, toasters, televisions, game consoles, all power adapters, etc.?

16. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

I turn the switch off at night before I go to sleep.

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Just an FYI, the Kill-A-Watt (which is a power usage measuring tool, in case anyone isn't familiar with it) said that the power adapter was plugged in for 9 hours and 36 minutes. In that time, with no computer attached to charge, it used 0.00 KWH of power. So no more lectures on keeping it plugged in, ok? If it's not actually using a measurable amount of power in almost 10 hours, I'm not going to worry about it.

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I do, but not to save power..I like not having the silly indicator lights everywhere in the house.

19. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Another here that is too lazy to unplug my magsafe adapter. I actually have two. One for work and one for home so that I can just unplug my computer and move it easily without having to grab the power adapter as well. I do feel a little bad about the power I might be wasting but I'm the one who pays the electricity bill (atleast at home) and I haven't noticed any difference since I started this practice (fairly recently) so I'll assume it is ok. :confused:

20. sunnyj macrumors 6502

21. Resist, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

Resist macrumors 68030

Of course not, only those devices that still have an energy draw when they are supposed to be off or those devices that require power for saved memory data.

I don't own a coffee maker. My toaster gets unplugged because it's kept off the kitchen counter when not in use. The TV stays plugged in because it would be inconvenient to unplug it after each use. My game consoles are unplugged due to the off mode energy drain and infrequent use. Any power adapter in my home that isn't currently powering a device is always unplugged. I also turn off lights when I leave a room in my house.

I'm not a fan of paying to power devices that aren't being used. And again, the Magsafe alone is not much but added to all the other devices plugged in not used that draw power and it can be significant. Another thing to note, is that unplugging a device eliminates any fire risk (even UL approved items do fail).

22. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

No. I only have my MagSafe plugged in when I'm recharging my MBP.

23. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I leave mine plugged in if it's at the desk. There is no disadvantage to leaving it plugged in for as long as you want.

24. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Leave mine plugged in all the time as well. The only time I unplug it is to take it with me when I know I will use up most or if not all the MacBook Pro's battery.

Those situations would include things like vacations, long days aways from home where I'll need the computer all day (school, work related stuff).

Otherwise it's plugged in all the time waiting to feed my MacBook Pro.