Do you leave your watch on the charger for long periods?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Trickhot3102, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

hey guys! Since I got my AW I've been shutting it off when it gets to 100 perfect and just leaving it off until the next time I use it (at most like 12-18 hours) and I'm starting to think its not necessary. I was worried about over charging because I'm not sure if it has the same sensor iPhones/iPads do to stop charging when at 100. Another forum member said that it does and won't over charge. Is that true? I'd imagine that it does, but doesn't hurt to ask. Also, is it drawing electricity when it's at 100 and still plugged in?

Thanks!

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Don't worry if it overcharges you WILL know. It will explode and catch on fire.

3. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Well that hasn't happened yet! Lol. I guess it does have the sensor that stops it from over charging. I guess my only question would be if I leave it on the charger, will it be using electricity (making the bill go up)

4. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

most I ever charge is 9 hours, and that will last me 2 days.

5. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

When I charge my watch in the middle of the day (like after a four hour bike ride with active tracking, as otherwise the watch really doesn't need midday charging), the watch gets warm. When I charge it overnight, it is cool in the morning. I take that as proof that it stops charging when full.

6. TomH TX macrumors regular

I wear mine all day, put it on my AW "rest" when I get home from work, and then just plug in the charger before I go to bed. I leave it on the charger overnight. I do not worry about it, and just put it on the morning. I do NOT turn it off when it is charging.

7. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Really? Uh oh, I've been turning it off while not charging and not wearing it

:(

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Why? Do you think Apple would sell a product that would destroy itself if left on the charger overnight? Your AW is just like your iPhone or laptop and the circuitry stops charging when full.

9. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I wear mine for up to 19hrs a day and charge it overnight, it doesn't overcharge. Simple............enjoy yours as well without stressing :)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I leave mine on over night, even though its perhaps 40-60 percent available.

11. flur macrumors 68000

I drop it on the charger every night when I go to bed, so it's on there 8 hours or so. I've been doing that since I got it back in April, and no issues.

12. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

All modern batteries (including in the  Watch) have their own logic board that determines how charges should be distributed through the battery based on the circumstances given to it. You will never overcharge a battery in your watch in standard conditions.

When you watch is left on the charger, it will charge *until* it becomes full. Once it's full, the watch will selectively drain and recharge cells to prevent degradation of the battery and ensure a full charge when you pick it up; nothing more intensive than actively using the watch, draining, and recharging.

Other than consuming slightly less power (and thus cycling a teeny bit slower), turning it on and off has no effect on the hardware at this low of a level.

13. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Thanks for all the replies!! So it sounds like I don't have to worry about over charging :)

the only thing I'm worried about is last night I let it on the charger like you guys said and it was warm in the morning. Shouldn't it be cool?

14. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Sometimes it will be warm and sometimes it will be cool. Still nothing to worry about. Just use your watch and enjoy it.

15. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

That's some good advice my friend :) and since I've been leaving it on the charger it seems to have better battery life! It seems to stay at 100 percent longer before going to 99. I guess booting it up everytime wasted the battery lol

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think it's the booting. You were unplugging it and powering down before it was actually fully charged. iDevices are designed to display as 100% charged before they're actually 100% charged. As mentioned in post #12, it's because they're constantly discharging and recharging back up to 100% to maintain the best possible charge.