Do you like iPad 2 new case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by camaroIOM, Mar 15, 2011.

1. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I have the new magnet red leather case. Nice design but lacks protection of everything but screen. Even the outer edges are starting to show minor nicks which could have been prevented with form fitting case. Looking for a new case, but wondering if any will incoperate new auto on feature?? Any nice Thin bumper types out there or what other cases recommend.

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

iSkin usually has really good, high quality cases but it will take some time until any are released probably :eek:

3. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I just read a article yesterday that talked about the teardown of the smart case. I'm sure since the other manufacturers now know the mechanics, it will only be a matter of time before we see similar cases. Hopefully Apple doesn't hold a patent on the design.

4. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered ghost armor to protect the screen and back but does not prevent scuffs and such over time. That thin outer edge could be a problem long term. Very soft it seems

5. DN7335 macrumors 6502

Not to be nit picky but Apple was pretty clear that they are selling a cover and not a case. As a cover, I think its awesome and very well engineered and made. To protect the back, I've ordered a skin from Best Skins Ever. I know it won't protect it if I drop it, but it will protect against nicks and scratches from tables and everyday wear and tear.

6. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

I like the smart cover. I just ordered a designer skin for the back from www.skinit.com to protect the back when the device is laying on the table.

7. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

True. I agree great screen cover, but it's the thin outer edge over the top of black border that is the problem. Very small nicks, but I know they are there.

8. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I have the Orbino and Vaja for the iPad 1, so I hope to be able to still use those (one for the gym/one for carrying) temporarily until the companies make new ones just to protect it.

I expect it'll fit loosely in the gen 1 cases, but I'll be careful. It beats nothing.

9. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

The ghost armored I ordered should protect back and front, but as stated that thin outer silver edge nicks easily so be careful. iPad cover does not protect that.

10. jschu22 macrumors regular

I think I like it- Looks great sitting in the original packaging, on my kitchen counter, waiting for the seemingly-mythical iPad 2 to show up.

11. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I love mine. Even more so after accidentally spilling a little coffee on it yesterday and seeing how the liquid evaporated and left no stain or mark of any kind. This thing is awesome. Pricy, but awesome.

For the record, I don't obsess about scratches on the back.

12. DN7335 macrumors 6502

The problem is finding a case that protects but also keeps the device's slim elegance. I wouldn't want to bulk it up with a heavy case, I love the weight and slim profile.

13. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I like it a lot.

I also got a 10.2" netbook sleeve made by Tuari at Target for $12.99 that easily holds the iPad with smartcover on that I use when the iPad is not in use.

That way I get the nice minimal design when using it, and still have it well protected at other times.

14. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I got the griffin élan folio slim. It's nice. Doesn't fit the iPad 2 perfectly, but it's stills better than the smart cover.

15. tstarks33 macrumors regular

16. baummer macrumors 6502a

Don't like it. It's not much of a case. It's not even a good screen protector. After seeing one in person, I am convinced it's nothing more than a straight screen cover.

17. MBPLurker macrumors member

I passed up the smart cover entirely and got the Griffin book jacket case that is almost just like the original iPad apple case. I prefer something that protects the back, front and all the sides that i can plop down on whatever surface I want.

18. outz macrumors 6502

from apple.com:

"iPad Smart Cover

So much more than a case, the Smart Cover was designed alongside iPad 2 to be its perfect match: a thin, durable cover that magnetically aligns for a perfect fit."

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

It's also a stand and a left hand grip.

20. Cole JM macrumors regular

I dont see why it wouldnt, the camera's would be blocked though

21. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

It probably won't fit, actually. iPad 2 is a little smaller in all dimensions.

22. INeedAMacBook, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

23. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

Just what I was looking for!! Thanks. I am thinking about modding the cover and using apples along with. The mag should still work. Thanks for the link

24. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Problem is the stand picks up dirt and dust when in that position and then grinds it into the screen when it's in that position.

If you only want a cover, don't care about protection of any sort this is a decent cover. Other than that it's overpriced and there are much better options.

25. blow45 macrumors 68000

the case is good, but no case is great for everything. Great idea about the magnets (though, by no means that novel an idea) though, cause they are going to enable lots of case makers, but...

...let's face it no case is perfect, cause no case can be all at once, slim, protective, doubling up as a stand, doubling up as a variable inclination stand in both vertical an horizontal, etc. etc.

no case can do all, so choose your poisons, and do so wisely.