Do you like mobile sites?

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
What do you think of mobile version of websites? likes and dislikes?

I like the idea of touch version of sites like youtube.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
well like everything in life only if they are doe well. However, the main issue I have is when they have less detail and are harder to navigate.

I dont really mind an optimised UI as long as I can get the same info.

bbc mobile is particularly bad as it gives you reduced links ^^

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
also what is mobile? netbook, ipad, iphone, nokia smartphone the list goes on. All different screen sizes and resolutions and also different input methods

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
also what is mobile? netbook, ipad, iphone, nokia smartphone the list goes on. All different screen sizes and resolutions and also different input methods
most of them got the aim of minimizing picture thus bandwidth, I personally like how google make iPhone versions of their sites.

edit: also speaking of iPad, do you think webmasters will make iPad specific.

Jonobigblind

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Largely useless IMO. Reduced functionality often means that navigating to find the part of the site I need is impossible or takes twice as long as signing into the full site and going from there.

I always come out of a mobile site if redirected and log in to the proper one, after all it's an iphone not a Nokia.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
engadget is really good but thats a tailored app not a mobile site.

I do think there will be sites made for the ipad. I personally believe that it will really spawn something much larger

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
If a mobile site is done well, and doesn't skimp on features of the main site, I like it. Although, I really hate it when there is no option to go to the normal site! That really grinds my gears.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I like Digg's mobile site. It's easy to browse and shows me all the info I need.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I like them and use them, even on my iPhone as they load quicker. I hate ones that don't have a link to bypass the mobile site and visit the regular site in case I want to view the full version though.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
The good thing with mobile sites (mobile sites done well) is that they take less time to load and ideally should make navigation easier (larger click areas, more prominent navigation and features..). For blogs Wordpress has a few plugins that do this well enough, and can do it better with a little tweaking. The cons of using Safari Mobile for regular browsing is load time, plus lack of some emerging design trends (some methods of font embedding don't register, etc). I'm not crazy about the reduced functionality or slimmed down design of mobile sites, but can accept them on the basis they make surfing much faster.

A well-designed mobile site really works well - it doesn't have to be stale, lifeless and boring unless the designer wants it that way, or doesn't know what he's doing. The problem is that too many designers/developers have somehow gotten stuck on this idea that mobile users are a small, small minority or the mobile version of a website has to look a certain way. Gone are the days when mobile browsers were largely "reduce it to almost plain-text."

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
If the mobile site is done well I prefer using them on my phone.
Done well means that the optimize the site for the smaller screen size of the phone.
An example of a good mobile site I would say is http//m.crackberry.com

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Don't like 'em. The iPhone is able to provide a true internet experience. What really irks me is when I get redirected to a mobile site and when I hit "view full site" it still redirects...

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
With the iPhone, I want the full site since I can zoom in/out and browse easily. With other "mobile" devices, the mobile sites are better since they don't navigate as well.

So I agree with many other posts here. If it's done well, it's ok.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I like mobile sites for my Mac Mini htpc. I have Safari's text super huge so I can read it comfortably from my couch. A lot of sites don't work well with large text, but the mobile versions do. ESPN and CNN come to mind. I also like that there's just the top stories to browse on each. When surfing on your couch, just give me the top stories. Don't really need to see everything. It's an easy switch to get the full version if necessary.