Do you like the new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lozpop, Oct 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the new iMac?

1. Absolutely yes!

81 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Yes

65 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. No

26 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. No, Apple really screwed up!

14 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. lozpop macrumors 6502

Just wanted to collect your thoughts in a poll, guys.

2. bmunge macrumors regular

iLove it. I'm glad the 27" has upgradeable RAM. I figure I'll get the 1999 model and add 32 GB in myself with the upgraded video card and Fusion Drive. Hoping to get it all for around 2500 which was what I was expecting.

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The 27 inch? Yes, though the lack of optical drive annoys me and I want to see reviews (and to find out the Hard Drive RPM in the Fusion Drive).

The 21.5 inch? Sucks.

4. connor.e macrumors member

Can't wait to use an external BLU-RAY drive! Fully loaded 27er for me please. :)

5. ipodmac macrumors regular

Yes it looks AMAZING!!!

Hope the fusion drive isn't too expensive

6. bmunge macrumors regular

1TB Fusion option on the Mac Mini is a $250 upgrade. I imagine we'll see something similar. I wonder what is the ratio of flash to HDD space.

7. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

On the MacMini it's 250$.

----------

Well, for now the YES is outperforming the NO. I didn't imagine it.

8. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Pretty sure they said it's a 128 GB SSD inside.

9. KidHTML macrumors newbie

KidHTML

10. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

From a certain perspective, it's a downgrade. Actually, Apple wants to upsell us to the higher end models as the low end 21.5" gets the atrociously slow 5400 rpm HDD. So, from my point of view the new low-end 21.5" is a downgrade from my 2010 21.5". Had I been to choose a mac today I'd have chosen a high-end mini with fusion drive and a decent display. Or a Macbook Air. And a decent external display.

Ridiculously, they made it thin at the expense of a slower HDD. The low-end 21.5" makes no sense to me and I'd avoid that configuration.

11. rossip macrumors regular

We'll all have to wait since there is no apple supported blu-ray option.

THe new iMac is a huge disappointment. No user serviceable ram, only 512 vram in the 21.5" models, get real!

And as i'm not planning on caressing/hugging/holding my iMac, I don't see why thiner is better here. It's not like people were complaining about how thick the current iMac is . Or any iMac since 2005 for that matter.

Sacrificing performance and value for extreme thinness in a desktop is totally absurd.

12. karpich1 macrumors regular

Overall I like it...

While I admit, it was an "odd choice" remove the ODD and make a desktop "thinner"...

I want aesthetics, but not over function. As in my new Condo, my work-area is more public and I would like something that looks nice and doesn't has as many cables. Hence my looking at an AllInOne. But the 2011's were MORE than adequate for that... this seems a bit excessive.

The GPU options on the high-end 27" are solid. i have no idea how that is going to play out though: 680MX in such a small enclosure == heat issues? But from a benchmark angle, it is much welcomed.

The 27" appears to have user-accessible RAM, so that's a plus.

That all being said, people wanting "more" from the 21.5" are probably annoyed.

13. Jay9495 macrumors regular

I couldn't care less for the thinness, it's a desktop I'm not going to go hiking with it, but I am very happy with it overall.

14. blanka macrumors 68000

Did Apple finally ditch the glitch of white cables?
    Come on, with a alu+black computer, you need black cables. We still get white iMac G5 cables with our macs! Do they have a stockpile of them?

15. NextGenApple macrumors regular

the back, they don't show you on site

Attached Files:

16. jon9091 macrumors member

I think you need some in between answers rather than flat out yes or no. The only real surprise to me was the Fusion Drive thing. I knew they were gonna make it thinner...that meant the optical drive was gone. Obviously USB3 was gonna be in and FW was gonna be out. I had a strong hunch they were gonna solder the ram in...didn't know it was only gonna be the 21" model of course. I had a feeling they were gonna address the monitor glare...and no way was it gonna be a retina display. So, I weighed all that during the summer, didn't want to lose my optical drive...(I rip tons of music as my iMac is my music server). Didn't want to lose my FW, as I have all my backups on FW. So I bought my 27 back then and feel good about that decision.

17. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Well given that the RAM comes 8 GB stock and can only go to 16 GB, you're not missing much by not having it user-serviceable in the 21". If you need the extra performance you can go 27", which does have user-serviceable RAM.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the VRAM but it's not because of the thinness. As far as I can tell the only casualty of the size is the ODD (and possibly the speed of the HDD).

18. connor.e macrumors member

Um...

http://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=047109&sid=6shji9prauo2mq3dbuif7lbjr0

Apparently, this has built-in OSX support...

19. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

At first I have to say I was a little disappointed but as I've read into it more on the apple site I like it. I think the 27 with gtx675mx or 680m will be great. Good little power house.

I bet it will run battlefield no probs.

----------

This just makes it even more good looking!

20. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I think the design is great. Some people are upset because the optical drive was removed, but I never could get the optical drive in my older iMac to work properly anyway. Every time I inserted a disc it was always getting stuck. Apple might as well remove it, since they never really implemented it very well anyway. IF people need to burn to a cd, they can get a USB optical drive and at least in my case will make it a lot smoother to use.

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Sweeet

I like them.

-No need for an optical drive

-I can use my existing RAM and get to 32GB without breaking the bank

-Sounds like glare issue is resolved! Nice.

- 3TB "Fusion" drive sounds like the ticket. My application use is limited to CS6 suite so 128TB is plenty. Hopefully the cost is reasonable.

-I wonder if the HDD are user replaceable?

Imagine how thin they can make the thunderbolt display now? I cant wait till they update that one to match!

22. Garden4Gods macrumors member

I like it, yes, but at 1399 Euro for a base 21.5", it's a considerable price increase on the previous model.

I could get a refurb 27" 2011 for almost the same price.

23. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I was looking forward to these, but after the higher price, semi-laptop internals and removal of Firewire - forcing me to buy an adapter and give up a Thunderbolt port, I'll probably go for the new base Mac mini now as its a bit cheaper than the old one AND still has FireWire, which I use a lot.

24. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I think this poll should have a yes/no category. From the entry level 21.5" I don't like it. It downgrades to a 5400rpm HDD and ditches firewire and the optical drive. Since I use firewire for my external HD and recording interface, I'd have to have yet another thing on my small desk (optical drive, probably another $250) and buy a firewire adapter (another $25/30). Or I could buy the 2011 model and save at least a couple hundred.

I can see why the 27" folks are not disappointed though.

25. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

No doubt it will be a great machine. I am just not in the market for a new iMac for atleast 3 years. However I do like where this is going.