Do you like the new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tobeornottobe, Mar 11, 2015.

?

Do you like the new MacBook? And how much?

1. Yes, I love it so much and I will buy one despite not needing new laptop

17 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. Yes, I love it but I might not be buying one.

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Yes, I like it and I am going to buy it because I need it.

14 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Yes, I like it but I won't be buying one.

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Yes, I kind of like it but I may or may not be buying one depending on my personal needs.

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. I am fairly neutral about this laptop. There are plenty of other options around.

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. I mildly do not like it too much because ... (insert reasons)

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  8. I don't like it at all, it's crap.

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. I just can't sleep thinking about all stupid people buying this piece of useless eye-candy.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. I absolutely hate and despise it to death, and I will destroy this POS. Let it burn in hell

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. tobeornottobe, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

tobeornottobe macrumors regular

Do you like the new MacBook? vote now!

Personally, I love it because it looks so good, and it would compliment really well with my large and heavy 15'' windows laptop. But the point is I already have a iPad Air and this MacBook's entry price is the same as an entry model 13'' rMBP, this is a real turnoff. I reckon if they reduced the ssd size to 128gb or less, and reduce the price down to a high end iPad, that would make a much better proposition to buying it.

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

Everything but the lack of ports. Just one more port... so I can have the charger plugged in while still having a port free for something else. I know the dongle has multiple, but that's just dumb IMHO.

3. MIKX macrumors regular

MIKX

Haven't had much time to spec the details yet but
    I do like the "no moving parts", weight and size but ONE USB port ? ? No ethernet port? It might as well be a souped up MacAir.
    Can the hard drive be accessed / upgraded DIY ?

Also, what has happened to the much vaunted Thunderbolt endless daisy chaining ?

In short, can we hack it? If not, I'll wait 'till 2nd. hand Retina MacBook Pro's get cheaper.

Apple, since deciding to (1) Hide the User's Library since Lion & (2) Reverse my lovely Microsoft 5 button mouse's scrolling. . seems to want to dumb us down. Less and less own-configuration options.

4. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Yes I like it and will buy one.

I loved the Air but hated the screen so I bought a Surface Pro 3, which is VERY good.

But I will get one of these and try it out. The Surface is probably better, but the Apple is very close.

Really it's a curiosity thing.

BTW, my main rig is a Macbook Pro 15 R quad. So i'm not a Windows guy.

5. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

I like the design, I like the thinnes but the lack of ports is a deal breaker for me, and I dislike the fact that I would need adapters to plug in anything that I currently plug in to my 15" rMBP. Also I currently use a TBD and I haven't seen a thunderbolt adapter that would allow me connect the TBD to the rMB.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Too many sacrifices at its current price point. If the starting price was the same as the current 13" Air I'd recommend it for sure, but at its current price I just don't see it properly competing with rMBPs. Yes, they're thicker, heavier, only come in one color, and have slightly worse battery life, but they're superior in every other category.

7. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I like the design a lot, don't mind the single port but I'm not diving into a gen 1 Apple product again. A gen 2 or 3 perhaps...

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I don't think it's ready for primetime.

Steve said Apple would never make a netbook because it would compromise the experience too much. But here we have a machine that seems to have very bad performance and may not even be able to do reasonable web browsing well, appears to be horrible to type on, has no connectivity, a disappointing battery, an awful camera and a dubious amount of screen estate (at full retina scaling it actually has less screen room than the old 11 inch Air...).

Everything about this seems to compromise the viewing experience for every day tasks.

And yes, the first Macbook Air sucked too. But the issue there was that Apple weren't holding needed upgrades back from other machines, like a decent screen on the Air, until they'd worked out the kinks.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

You seem pretty confident there. I'm getting it because the opposite is true.

10. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think it's great. I can't wait until the new trackpad, keyboard, and colors make their way to the 15" Pro.

Also, I'm watching the keynote again and just noticed that the keyboard uses the San Francisco font. I don't know how I missed that the first time. Nice change.

11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I think ill be getting it in Gold. I hardly ever use my 15 that i have setup as a desktop that I do not need. I need a portable solution and the ipad doesnt work well for what i want to do. Pre orders should open up soon I would think.

12. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I like it but I'll wait for gen2 or 3 with two ports and USB-C is more mainstream

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The macbook gives up a lot for a small reduction in weight and thickness. It does not appear to be worth the sacrifice at this time. Maybe in a few revisions, it will be more appealing, especially once USB C becomes commonplace.

14. noobinator macrumors 601

Way too many poll options to make this poll useful.

Yes, I like it.

15. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Wha?

What are you trying to say here? The performance is good? It has loads of ports? It's keyboard is amazing? It has a higher resolution screen than that Apple have put on the product page?

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well you went as far as saying that the Core M can't even handle reasonable web browsing. Which we all know isn't true. The battery life could be better, but 9 hours will satisfy most people. No connectivity is only a disadvantage if you're the type that constantly plugs things into your Mac. This is why Apple sells other Macs. The new rMB is not going to be for everyone. But it looks like a great machine for those whose needs it fits.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The price is too high for what it is. Initially watching the keynote I thought it was going to replace the MBA so I was very much against it. However after thinking about it a bit more this is basically the iPad pro, so if the price was lowered a couple hundred dollars to be just a bit more expensive than a high end iPad I could be tempted, that and I hope that a third party comes out with a power adapter that includes a USB hub in the power brick, that would help overcome the lack of ports.

18. LV-16 macrumors member

The two biggest problems for me are how badly performing it is and the lack of ports. I'm fining with using a port for HDMI and stuff, but I don't want to have to use one for regular USB. FT camera sucks, Apple logo, MagSafe, little things after that.

The rMB works for many people but it's not the laptop for me. I just feel they sacrificed too much even for those who don't need all that power.

Shortly after the announcement I decided I would get an upgraded 13" rMBP. Now I'm thinking, hell, why don't I just wait for the new 15" rMBP. :D

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No we don't - the existing Windows implementations of this processor really can't run Chrome smoothly. "Reasonable" web browsing nowadays can involve quite processor heavy things - Google really likes sending VP9 video to you at higher resolutions which won't be hardware decoded and that's getting worse not better, Web-M use is exploding, animated GIFs are very processor heavy.

Your other points really have nothing to do with mine, other than arguing user experience doesn't matter much.

20. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm think of it as an iPad replacement since I currently take an iPad 3 with a Logetic Ultrathin keyboard cover to school to take notes.

128GB iPad Air 3 + AC + Keyboard = $1,000+ (after taxes)

256GB MB + AC = $1400+ (after taxes)

It's much pricier, but twice the storage and capabilities....

21. gooser macrumors 6502

i like it but i just had a macbook delivered to me earlier this week that i like a lot and is more functional for my needs. i sure don't need to think about getting another one.

22. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I already have a 15" rMBP, but that's docked as a desktop system. I need/want a lightweight on-the-go productivity device and causal use device.

23. GreenWater macrumors member

GreenWater

I liked that a maxed out 13" MacBook Air was comparable to the performance of lower end MacBook Pro's while being considerably lighter and thinner. The weight saving and size for travel made it a no-brainer for me to pair with a Mac Pro at home. I like the weight and size of the new MacBook and the retina screen should make the smaller screen size close enough to the 13" standard LCD. The Core M performance does concern me and I will have to do some of my own work testing it before buying. I might wait for a faster Core M. I could accept slower than today's i7's but I'd want it to be quite close to my 2 year old i7 2GHz.

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Who uses an ethernet cable anymore for a laptop??? Seriously, if you're using a laptop you really should be needing an ethernet cable.

25. solo118 macrumors 65816