Do you like the new Magsafe Adapter design?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrgiapanta, Jun 1, 2010.

?

Do you like the New Magsafe Adapter Design?

1. I LIKE IT!! CNET editor Brian Tong will give this a "Good Apple"

22 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. I HATE IT!! CNET editor Brian Tong will give this a "Bad Apple"

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

I guess Apple redesigned the Magsafe Adapter because of the tear issue but I find the new Magsafe design so annoying and inconvenient.
    In order for me to plug the Firewire 800 cable I have to plug it outward.
    It's really inconvenient for me because I can't do that without taking off my Speck clear case whenever I need to use Firewire 800 cable.

[​IMG]

Do you like the New Magsafe Adapter Design?

2. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I would prefer it, as I do not use a case, and I am tired of accidentally unplugging my MBP when it is on my lap. That said, some users have reported that the new design (well, for mbp anyway, its been around awhile on the MBA) makes it harder for the charger to become unplugged when the cable is tripped over. I won't say that I feel my MBP is ever put in a place where it could be "tripped", but IDK. I'm sorta torn.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I like it...It works for me...I have it behind my desk and out of the way and I like the look of the brushed aluminum way better than the cheap white plastic...If I am using my MBP on the coach or in bed I use the battery (after all, isn't that why we bought a battery powered portable?):confused:

Now, I suppose if I had young children or pets running around (or drunk college friends) and I used the powerbrick everywhere I used the MBP, I might be of a mind to like the cheap white plastics functionality better...:D

4. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

I like the new feel and material they're using for the cable, much more stiff and less prone to getting tangled up. The plug redesign is interesting, but I'm impartial.

5. Mirabella macrumors regular

For me, the old design was problematic; I wore out two of them, right behind the junction where the thin cable meets the endpiece. Will the new design solve that problem? I don't know, but I'll find out, in time. If it does, then I like the new design, better.

6. brucem91 macrumors 6502

You mean the piece that plugs into the laptop? Thats what happens when you tug on the charger over time. Instead, press your finger downward on the hard-plastic piece, and you shouldn't have that problem again.

7. Mirabella macrumors regular

The problem wasn't from tugging on the charger, not due to an outward pull – it was due to fatigue, from side to side flex, from wrapping and unwrapping the cord frequently, when I constantly travel on a series of few day trips.

8. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

It definitely is harder to unplug than the older one.
    One time my MBP almost fell off the table because the charger dragged the computer with it. What's the purpose of magsafe if it drags the computer with it?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I prefer the older cable; doesn't get in the way as much.

Though, for your poll, a simple "Yes" and "No" option would have sufficed.

10. Tanto macrumors member

Tanto

I don't have firsthand experience with the old one, but as someone else mentioned already, it does interfere with my Speck case but maybe that's because the case is for the older style MBPs. Sometimes the plug doesn't seat quite right and I notice that it's not charging but although it does take a simple readjustment to make it work, it's kinda annoying.

It fits perfectly without the case though and it is very sleek otherwise.

EDIT: My friend has the old style magsafe connector and he has problems sometimes when he lays his MBP down on a soft surface (like a bed) because the laptop kinda sinks down and makes it super easy for the magsafe adapter pop out.