Do you like the way Ibooks is set up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sircool2008, Apr 11, 2010.

1. sircool2008 macrumors newbie

I personally don't like that there is an extra app for it. I would much rather have it just be a new portion of the itunes store. Also if apple could work out a way to be able to read them on a computer that would be fantastic too.

what is everyone else's opinion on the matter?

2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I like it though the voice over is a complete joke. Couldn't get through a whole page let alone a book. Plus it doesnt read the last line on each page, WTF is that?

3. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I'd like to be able to add books via iTunes on my computer. It's less than fun having to go into the app to get books

4. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

I don't mind using the app, other than the library screen is hokey looking.

The book pricing is retarded, but that is the publishers, not Apple's fault... Well kinda...

5. ScrewTheDaisies macrumors regular

I like iBooks a lot. I hate the iBook store. It sure doesn't feel like there are 60,000 books in there. I go to the Fiction and Literature category, and all I can see is recent releases (one page worth) and short stories. No way to browse any further than that, no way to drill down by genre. Then, if I click on a book, I have about a 50/50 chance there will actually be a description. I've left and gone to Amazon a few times just to find out what a book was about. The store is fine if I already know exactly what I want (so I can do a search), but if I'm casually browsing for something new to read, it kinda sucks.

But reading in iBooks, that's pretty nice.

6. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

7. kes601 macrumors regular

I hate the store part of it. Is there anyway to actually browse all the books? Like you can go to a genre but can only see the featured books. You have to know a book exists to find it by searching.

8. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

That's how I do it, I'm not sure what you're doing. I have automatic syncing turned off, and just drag stuff that I actually want synced onto my iPad. There's a "Books" icon in addition to the "Music", "Movies" etc. So far I've just gotten free books though, and add them to my desktop initially. Are there some quirks with the DRM that I don't know about? Doesn't work for GoodReader though.

And yes, I'm lovin' iBooks.

9. sircool2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

It reminds me of Netflix on PS3, I can't wait until that experience is optimized.

10. vw195 macrumors 6502

heh that is what playon.tv is all about. Easier using playon..but i digress

11. sircool2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is playon?

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Agree completely with this.I feel like there are maybe 600 books in the store while I am browsing, certainly not 60,000

13. drjsway macrumors 6502a

This has to do with the publishers, who want you to buy expensive audio books. This is why there is no text-to-speech feature in the Kindle. Publishers don't allow it.

14. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That wasn't the publishers' doing:

They authors guild complained that this would make people stop buying audiobooks (for which they get a cut) because people would just listen to the text-to-speech. Um. Yeah.

15. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Every book???

16. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

The bookshelf is kind of campy and I too would like to be able to browse the books. Looking at what Apple feels is new and noteworthy is really annoying!

17. jonessodarally macrumors member

iBooks vs Kindle

I've played around with iBooks and the kindle reader. Found kindle to be a much better experience. Everything just sorta looks better... Text seems crisper at any size, sepia vs white or black is a nice option.. Not to mention whispersync so I can keep reading from my iPhone on the go.

iBooks is definitely useable, but I personally have taken a liking to the kindle app. :rolleyes:

18. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I meant shopping for them in the iBookstore

19. camronnel macrumors newbie

I really do..!! Fun to be here.. and gaining knowledge at the same time too..!!
    Thanks