Do you like this new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djrod, Mar 30, 2012.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Have they no shame?

(Or no designer of their own...)

2. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

3. that1guyy macrumors 6502

That's even more blatant than the HP Envy.

I hope Apple sues.

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Don't PC makers realize that this kind of imitation only make them lose credibility and give more importance to Apple?

Part of what makes Apple be perceived as the leader is the attitude PC makers have, they don't even try anymore. Apple hasn't even released a new MBP design since 4 years yet this kind of stuff happening still make them look like the innovators.

Apple should thank PC makers for this, it's actually good marketing for them.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I've hears stories of intellectual property being shamelessly stolen or copied, but THAT takes the cake and the whole bakery.

Open letter to Apple: Sue 'em.

----------

Nope.

Yup. :(

Absolutely!

It makes people think they are getting the impression, without the price. The impersonation.

Which is misadvertising at best. Fraud at worst.

Unlike the "patenting a rectangle" issue, this laptop design is the grossest example of legitimate IP theft I've ever seen.

I don't think that's good for Apple. Well, maybe it's a nod to the designers but they aren't going to get any profit/reward for their hard work because some sleazy dirtbag outright steals the design and feel, not that I have any emotion invested in this issue or anything...

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Think about it guys. Apple set the bar. Honestly it's hard coming up with a better design in a similar form factor. Make it green with white keys or something to make it look different? There's only so much you can do with the form factor, and frankly Apple nailed it. Anything else; the HP, the Acer, and now the Lenovo all look similar.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

7. MacMojo1 macrumors member

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I think Apple will not care about this.

1. Apple did not "invent" the silver body with black keyboard and black hinge design (my Vaio Z1 from 2003 had that already)
    2. There are enough "differences" to make a lawsuit fail, e.g. the touchpad is not centered, the bezel is not flush with the screen (ugly!), and there might be other differences that are not visible in the screenshot.

The problem is that once you decide to have an aluminum body with black chiclet keyboard, you can only do so much to not look like a MBP.
    Of course copying more details like the hinge design and the power button doesn't help here, and really paints a bad picture for Lenovos design department.

In the end, I see this more as something to make fun of, and less as something to get upset about :)

9. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Well said. If anything, Apple should take this as a flattering compliment, because it just goes to show that Apple takes the cake when it comes to design. People are getting upset over this for nothing. Laptop designs are evolving, minimalism is gaining popularity, just because Apple capitalized on it first doesn't make it exclusively theirs.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Wow for a split second I thought they botched the pictures till I saw the power button on the left! I'd love to play with that trackpad to see how it does. To date, everything else I have used has plain sucked compared to the MBP's and competition isn't a bad thing at all. Levano makes some nice computers but as far as cosmetics, they weren't quite ever pretty. As far as them ripping the design...yeah, it isn't quite a carbon clone but it's pretty close. However, the lack of OS X makes me think I wouldn't like it quite as much as the original...

11. Risasi macrumors 6502

I buy a Thinkpad to be a Thinkpad and a MacBook pro/air to be a Mac. I don't think Apple should bother to sue, they won't gain anything from it.

This certainly makes me write off Lenovo as a hack company now. I don't think I'll be able to them seriously because of this.

Sent from remote...

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

this seems a little extreme.

Lenovo? doesn't add up.

Of course if they sell a lot it ends up a good move eh? :D

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

14. fel10 macrumors 65816

fel10

Wow, they might as well put the Apple logo on the back.