Do you like your iMac?

jamesbarns

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
Cedar Hills, Utah
I agree with most everything that was said here. I still don't get why you guys are bagging on building your own PC's, because really when you have a Macbook Pro for portability and power and a custom PC that is upgradable and has LOTS of power, you are getting the best of both worlds. That is just my opinion so don't try to "correct" my opinion.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
with the imac or macbook pro you will get best of macos and best of windows on bootcamp...so? macbook pro it is the best windows laptop.

i thing if the op wants an iMac, he should wait for the upgrade, i think beside that wifi ac (100%), beside haswell(100%), i think will bring some nice graphic cards in the 21.5" as well. I think there will be no more 512vRM cards. I believe that geforce 750M is starts with 1GBvRAM up to 2GB, so...and i hope geforce is making again a dedicated card especially for the 27"imac 780MX

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
i LOVE my 21" iMac. I do have some games like Counter strike, Super meat boy and even Portal 2(which looks better and plays smoother on here than my ps3!). I was contemplating on getting a gaming computer but I'm very glad i choose the iMac. I chose the base model with fusion drive.

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
i LOVE my 21" iMac. I do have some games like Counter strike, Super meat boy and even Portal 2(which looks better and plays smoother on here than my ps3!). I was contemplating on getting a gaming computer but I'm very glad i choose the iMac. I chose the base model with fusion drive.
The base modell is enough?

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Yes.
The only upgrade i chose when i built the mac was a 1tb Fusion Drive. Its still just a base model with 8gb of ram.

But keep in mind I don't play the latest games on my iMac. I had a copy of Portal 2 on my Steam account and it plays it pretty smoothly without the computer stuttering or lagging. This computer does all that i need and want it to do effortlessly.

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
Yes.
The only upgrade i chose when i built the mac was a 1tb Fusion Drive. Its still just a base model with 8gb of ram.

But keep in mind I don't play the latest games on my iMac. I had a copy of Portal 2 on my Steam account and it plays it pretty smoothly without the computer stuttering or lagging. This computer does all that i need and want it to do effortlessly.
Cool.
Something to think about and consider.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I'll put it simply, my 2012 27" is dead quiet, fan or not. You can't hear it over a whisper.
I don't mean to sound confrontational but that's just nonsense. My iMac has no hard disk in it and it is indeed quiet, but inaudible it is not, whispers or no whispers. I had a previous identical machine that was RMA'd because of a screen fault and that wasn't silent either, so I don't think this is down to sample variation. The fan runs at 1200 rpm all the time and you can hear the rushing air sound.

I am not suggesting it is noisy by any means, nor that the rushing air sound is obtrusive. But to say "you can't hear it over a whisper" means you are either shouting when you are whispering, or you are deaf, or exaggerating.

kelub

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I have a 21.5" 2011 iMac base model. Using boot camp I've recently played Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite at 1920x1080 resolution with medium-high settings (high for most, medium for others) and have 0 stuttering or framerate issues.

I'm interested in upgrading mine, but frankly I'm mostly wanting the 27" screen; I'm considering buying a 2011 27" used just so I can wall mount it and still keep the base if I want (on the 2012's you have to choose wall mount or base, and since that's a form factor issue, it's highly unlikely it'll be different with the 2013 models.) I also use Aperture extensively, handbrake for video processing, and iMovie for home videos, and all work fantastic.

Really, you can't go wrong picking up an iMac.

CoinOP

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
Amsterdam
I don't mean to sound confrontational but that's just nonsense. My iMac has no hard disk in it and it is indeed quiet, but inaudible it is not, whispers or no whispers. I had a previous identical machine that was RMA'd because of a screen fault and that wasn't silent either, so I don't think this is down to sample variation. The fan runs at 1200 rpm all the time and you can hear the rushing air sound.

I am not suggesting it is noisy by any means, nor that the rushing air sound is obtrusive. But to say "you can't hear it over a whisper" means you are either shouting when you are whispering, or you are deaf, or exaggerating.
Maybe you are looking(listening) for things that aren't there. I have next to the Imac a Thunderbolt display. Both have fans, but combined they are still inaudible unless you put your ear against them. No normal person uses their system like that....

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
I love my mac

HAve a 2011 late i5 27 inch Imac. Hooked up to two additional monitors. With an external video camera to monitor a specific area at work.
Three back up drives, one fire wire 800. Its on all the time.
Never a blue screen, never a reboot. With Windows one blue screen every 15 days. Rebooting the router every week. My Airport extreme router has almost 152 days running stable.
Will i go back to windows? LOL NEVER…………..:apple:

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Maybe you are looking(listening) for things that aren't there. I have next to the Imac a Thunderbolt display. Both have fans, but combined they are still inaudible unless you put your ear against them. No normal person uses their system like that....
Seriously I reckon some people must have hearing problems.

I can hear an iMac from several feet away without effort. Even with other noises going on in the room, it's very audible to me. Putting your ear against it, doesn't come into it.

Incidentally, a Mac mini with SSD install instead of hard disk, is quieter than the iMac. When the CPU is idling that is.

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
I have a 21.5" 2011 iMac base model. Using boot camp I've recently played Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite at 1920x1080 resolution with medium-high settings (high for most, medium for others) and have 0 stuttering or framerate issues.

I'm interested in upgrading mine, but frankly I'm mostly wanting the 27" screen; I'm considering buying a 2011 27" used just so I can wall mount it and still keep the base if I want (on the 2012's you have to choose wall mount or base, and since that's a form factor issue, it's highly unlikely it'll be different with the 2013 models.) I also use Aperture extensively, handbrake for video processing, and iMovie for home videos, and all work fantastic.

Really, you can't go wrong picking up an iMac.
Well, the 27" seems like a goodie as well.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013

I think nonsense is a bit strong. It's not nonsense. This is by far the quietest computer I've ever used. This may be the quietest non-solid-state machine I've ever used.

I never said it was silent. I said it was dead quiet, ie barely makes noise that I could notice. I'm in a carpeted room and I can hear a miles-distant jet louder than my iMac, 2 feet away. The fan and air noise is subtle, I don't know how anyone can hear readily unless you are in a room by yourself with nothing but the iMac. In a house with some activity, you can't hear it.

This is truly splitting hairs. The point is, the 2012 iMac is one of the quietest computers ever, period.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I think nonsense is a bit strong. It's not nonsense. This is by far the quietest computer I've ever used. This may be the quietest non-solid-state machine I've ever used.

I never said it was silent. I said it was dead quiet, ie barely makes noise that I could notice. I'm in a carpeted room and I can hear a miles-distant jet louder than my iMac, 2 feet away. The fan and air noise is subtle, I don't know how anyone can hear readily unless you are in a room by yourself with nothing but the iMac. In a house with some activity, you can't hear it.

This is truly splitting hairs. The point is, the 2012 iMac is one of the quietest computers ever, period.
Even quieter then an iPad? Or any tablet you've encountered? It's also a computer, remember? But iPad has no single fan or moving parts inside. So you say iMac is quietest computer ever? Means no one above it in term of quietness.

Why people can't have complaint about defective Apple products you always bother with them? Do we have to blindly praise Apple for being perfect?

You love splitting hairs and pedantic with people's comment about any complaints about Apple and its product, accuse them of scaremongering. So how about having a taste of it on your own comment?

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Even quieter then an iPad? Or any tablet you've encountered? It's also a computer, remember? But iPad has no single fan or moving parts inside. So you say iMac is quietest computer ever? Means no one above it in term of quietness.

Why people can't have complaint about defective Apple products you always bother with them? Do we have to blindly praise Apple for being perfect?

You love splitting hairs and pedantic with people's comment about any complaints about Apple and its product, accuse them of scaremongering. So how about having a taste of it on your own comment?
So much anger.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
No need for any animosity from anyone and I am sorry if you think "nonsense" causes offence.

But I wanted to make it clear to people who are considering an iMac that it is not silent. It's very quiet, we can all agree on that. For me, that's actually one of its string points and a significant contributing reason for me to choose an iMac over a PC. I have not found a PC - or been able to build one - with a pleasing form factor, relatively compact, and yet as quiet as the iMac.

But having said all this, I think people either exaggerate, or have wildly different terms of reference, as to how quiet it is. If you have good hearing and a quiet environment, it is CLEARLY audible at normal working distance.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
So much anger.
Anger? Not really. Only being critical to someone who always bashing people complaining about Apple products and boast about how perfect they really are. The most amazing, miraculous machine ever made on earth an all that.

But when I asked him to exchange my defective Mac with his perfect Mac and see how that goes, just like a slight turn around over the fact he would just go .. silent.

----------

No need for any animosity from anyone and I am sorry if you think "nonsense" causes offence.

But I wanted to make it clear to people who are considering an iMac that it is not silent. It's very quiet, we can all agree on that. For me, that's actually one of its string points and a significant contributing reason for me to choose an iMac over a PC. I have not found a PC - or been able to build one - with a pleasing form factor, relatively compact, and yet as quiet as the iMac.

But having said all this, I think people either exaggerate, or have wildly different terms of reference, as to how quiet it is. If you have good hearing and a quiet environment, it is CLEARLY audible at normal working distance.
Yes iMac is relatively and nicely quiet, but not silent. Especially when you makes a heavy load to the CPU/GPU. The fan revs up and you can obviously hear it.

So don't believe it if someone tells you "iMac is one of the quietest computers ever, period" :eek:

Having said that, it's really difficult to have an ideal experience over computer. Your iMac maybe near silent, but again your room acoustic does not. So in the end it doesn't really matter how silent your computer is, as long as it doesn't sound as jet engine, I'd be fine.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Artdog was simply stating that his iMac is dead quiet. I don't see any reason for anyone to 'object', get upset, or assume hearing impairment.

I have the same feeling that my iMac is dead quiet too. Maybe because we were both used to much louder computers or maybe there are other variables that could cause the difference in its user experiences. Or maybe because we explain and express our feelings and experiences in different ways.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the base 21.5" does very well in gaming too. It make me feel much better about my top 21.5". :)

CoinOP

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
Amsterdam
Anger? Not really. Only being critical to someone who always bashing people complaining about Apple products and boast about how perfect they really are. The most amazing, miraculous machine ever made on earth an all that.

But when I asked him to exchange my defective Mac with his perfect Mac and see how that goes, just like a slight turn around over the fact he would just go .. silent.

----------

Yes iMac is relatively and nicely quiet, but not silent. Especially when you makes a heavy load to the CPU/GPU. The fan revs up and you can obviously hear it.

So don't believe it if someone tells you "iMac is one of the quietest computers ever, period" :eek:

Having said that, it's really difficult to have an ideal experience over computer. Your iMac maybe near silent, but again your room acoustic does not. So in the end it doesn't really matter how silent your computer is, as long as it doesn't sound as jet engine, I'd be fine.
If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound......

He said it was his 2nd unit and it runs at 1200rpm all the time. Mine too and it is dead silence!! Yes! When I put my ear against it I hear the fan. When used normal not. Does it technically make a noise\sound then? Is it not inaudible?

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
Artdog was simply stating that his iMac is dead quiet. I don't see any reason for anyone to 'object', get upset, or assume hearing impairment.

I have the same feeling that my iMac is dead quiet too. Maybe because we were both used to much louder computers or maybe there are other variables that could cause the difference in its user experiences. Or maybe because we explain and express our feelings and experiences in different ways.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the base 21.5" does very well in gaming too. It make me feel much better about my top 21.5". :)
I quoye myself:

But one thing, I am no gamer, but I adore The Walking Dead Game from Telltale Games, would the base model 21" be able to round it?
http://www.telltalegames.com

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound......
Doesn't mean there are no falling trees in the forest. Otherwise there would be no need for warranty, or AppleCare.

He said it was his 2nd unit and it runs at 1200rpm all the time. Mine too and it is dead silence!! Yes! When I put my ear against it I hear the fan. When used normal not. Does it technically make a noise\sound then? Is it not inaudible?
Maybe it's your environment? I could still a faint sound of revving fan, so to me it's not dead silent in 0dB, which is fine because it's barely audible.

We're arguing over silly points here, I can barely hear my iMac fans, you totally can't. But in the end both of us don't feel uncomfortable with the end result. So what's your point here?

Like I said, in the end it's not just the computer, but all factor counts. If I have my air conditioner turned on, NAS drive spinning up, clock ticking, music playing on my hifi and all, does it really matter if iMac is dead silent or barely audible?

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Being a guy coming from Windows based rigs to Mac products I can vouche for Apple build quality and the superior software they offer by comparison. Some would call OSX 'idiot proof', and my answer is always, 'Great!'. There is nothing wrong with having intuitive, friendly UI.

As you can see in my sig, I've tasted both portable and desktop Apple products, with regards to my prior rig, it had an i5-2500K at 4.6ghz, ROG IV Maximus Extended MOBO, GTX 660, 850 watt PSU, etc. When comparing the speed and smoothness of the software, Mac out does a 4.6GHz with a humble 2008 Duo @ 2ghz.

Referring to your concern over the size of the screen, it think it depends on what you're used to. I can't even conceive of a 27" iMac, that's a freaking TV in my eyes. 1080 is a perfect size for a personal desktop, I feel as though I don't use half of the space I have access to. I'd have a tiny square in the middle of a 27".

Geekazoid

Suspended
Sep 20, 2012
I am no Windows fanboy or troll but I do find it kind of ridiculous that people complain about how much PCs suck but the many problems they might have are either user related or if hardware related can usually be fixed pretty simply with no extra money spent at all. I would love for anyone on here, instead of putting Windows PC down to a great extent, to just say you wanted an iMac, there's no shame in that.

But below is an example of such a extensive rant of someone putting down PCs to a huge extend and then followed by saying how great their Mac is.

PCs are just stupid annoying pieces of crap and it really is annoying to use them. They have a crap load of problems and are just soo annoying to have to replace so many parts that you end up spending a whole lot of money on components that you have to replace every months because the suck so much and it's it's absolutely annoying to have to replace those pieces of crap so often.

Macs on the other hand are just a Godsend and are such a pleasure to use.

Last edited: