Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I would say that the very cheap (say £0.59 - $1) apps may give a strange impression. The developer is charging for them, but not a lot - it's like they're saying that the product isn't good enough for a high price tag.

Agree about this. A lot of the $0.99 apps have me twisting my head wondering why the developer bothered charging a price for them -- just give them away for free if you think they aren't good enough to charge more!

Another thing I feel wierd about is some of the "Lite" apps being not free. Yes, some of them do have enough functionality that I'd be glad to pay for, plus also the full versions have more functionality than I need so I know I'll just keep the lite version and never upgrade to the full one. Those I think it's reasonable for the developer to charge a price. But there are some "lite" apps that are very obviously trialware, and it's quite likely that if you like the lower-priced version, you'd want to upgrade to the full one, and yet, since you already paid for the lite version, if you upgrade to the full one, you end up paying more than if you had bought the full one first. Makes for some weird twists in your decision-making process, and ends up making me feel a bit resentful that the developer didn't provide a free "lite" version.

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
With one of these apps soon be released this is no real way to do a "lite" version so that's out. I wouldn't mind giving it away but I have spent a lot of time on it and I plan to spend a lot more in the future on updates and fixes so I would like to get a little fruit for my labor. ;) On the other hand I don't want to charge a lot because I want to get it in as many hands as possible and I, as most people like affordable things.

So, I was thinking a middle ground of $1.99 which is really cheap compared to other similar(lesser) apps but still gives me a little pocket change to keep me interested in the project.

What do you think?

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
If an app is 99 cents, I'd expect it to be a novelty that I might look at occasionally. For example, a good units converter program.

If an app is $5 or more, I'd expect it to be something useful that I use regularly. Good examples of this are Datacase ($6.99), WinAdmin ($11.99), and Texas Holdem ($4.99) all of which I'm using almost daily.

I'm not sure what I'd expect for $1.99. Maybe a cooler-than-usual novelty, or something useful that still needs a little work.

hookem12387

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Austin, Texas
If an app is 99 cents, I'd expect it to be a novelty that I might look at occasionally. For example, a good units converter program.

If an app is $5 or more, I'd expect it to be something useful that I use regularly. Good examples of this are Datacase ($6.99), WinAdmin ($11.99), and Texas Holdem ($4.99) all of which I'm using almost daily.

I'm not sure what I'd expect for $1.99. Maybe a cooler-than-usual novelty, or something useful that still needs a little work.

1.99 makes me think possibly useful bargain OR overpriced novelty

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I'm pretty sure this app will get great reviews and especially great reviews if the price is low. So, I guess even if it's lower once there are reviews people will pay attention to it anyways. :) Also, the more I charge, the more Apple makes. :p

cubs1987

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
I'm pretty sure this app will get great reviews and especially great reviews if the price is low. So, I guess even if it's lower once there are reviews people will pay attention to it anyways. :) Also, the more I charge, the more Apple makes. :p

what you could do is pull a Simplify Media and have the first 10,000 or whatever downloads free, build up the program through word of mouth and popularity and then start charging.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I lose respect for apps that should be free and are free on other platforms, but devs are charging for it.

I sort of agree... I think the high quality of a lot of the free software shames a lot of the paid software -- I lose respect for the paid software because it frequently competes with superior free software. (This is primarily in the iPhone world... many times I do think paid software is much better than free software, e.g. I think PS and PSE are much more usable to me than GIMP and I think MS Office is more usable to me than OOo).

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I think the problem with free is that it essentially dissolves the author of any responsibility for fixing and/or updating their application.

While some people clearly think the Software used to navigate the Space Shuttle should be free, I am more than happy to pay for a developer's hardwork and time. There are several reasons for this.

For one, if it is a program with potential, I want them to have the incentive to keep working on it, and making it better. I also would like to see some semblance of support and the rest.

That is why I think long-term all these sub $5.00 pricepoints are going to be bad. When a developer has an issue with a program and gets deluded with angry e-mails and reviews, they are much less likely to see it out when the income is small.

I don't know when $10.00 became expensive for an application for a mobile device, but it shouldn't be.

That being said a lot of the stuff that has come out so far has been fluff and essentially school project work as people learn how to program the iPhone in the basement. For real applications I will expect to pay more.

Take simplify media. I got it for free. They plan to give 100k copies away for free, then charge $3.99. That is too little in my opinion. I think they could charge $9.99 with no problem. Would they sell as many? Probably not. Would they sell less than 1/3, I don't think so. Which means more money, less expense.

I want the good developers to succeed and that is not going to happen for free, or for small sums of money. I think some developers use the free price point as a shield to any responsibility. In otherwords once you start charging the burden of being a developer increases by magnitudes. As long as it is free you can essentially tell people to screw off if you feel like it.

I would rather see someone want to make the best damn Tip Application in the world and charge $5.00 for it, as oppoosed to just be another duplicate in a sea of free applications.

I like the simplify approach though. They are going to get their app installed in a decent number of iphones, where they can use the feedback to help impove the product, and then start charging so they will have a solid product with a very sizable number of positive reviews from people who are already using it.

I think if they can turn that 100k free distribution into 250k paid apps, that is a net of 700k for them, which i think will encourage them to improve the product even more.

I know I have rambled enough, but back on to the original post. If you don't respect yourself, how is anyone else going to respect you. If you made something you believe is worthy of people paying for, charge them for it and never apologize.

On a daily basis I review and demo and test software packages for my business that run in the high hundreds and even thousands of dollars. There is a lot of room and opportunity in the iPhone realm. I think the real financial winners are going to be in the arena of niche applications. Specific business applications that are targeted towards a very narrow audience but that can also fetch a substantial price.

I can already envision several concepts for apps that I and others would pay hundreds of dollars for, and this is just one small industry. With all the various interests and industries out there... the potential is limitless.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I do not lose respect for free apps, look at Box Office, Facebook, AIM, iProcrastinate Mobile, NY Times, Remote, SportsTap, and WeatherBug, those are all free and amazing apps. I lose respect for apps where they were poorly developed, weren't given much thought, or apps that have bad descriptions of themselves on the iTunes Store (with reviews like, "This app is 10 times better than this app." and stuff like that).

i would note several of those apps are not revenue-free in that they do earn revenue for the developers via advertising or affiliate marketing.

NY Times, SportsTap and Box Office, for example.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I hate to quadruple post, but I had one more thought based on some of the replies I saw about the low priced apps, ie the $.99 apps, feeling a little cheap.

I actually like the .99 price point or even 1.99 etc for the fledgling developer who may be learning as they go. They may come up with a killer app and get it out there and it becomes a hit. At the low price point it is not going to make them rich, but the potential exists with enough sales that it can turn them from part-time developer to full-time developer. So it can be a way of hedging bets of getting your apps into the hand of people and potentially growing their own development business.

I would also say given the info from one of the apps about their sales that there is a lot of gamesmanship for getting your app into people's hands and getting rankings. Without the high rankings you will get only a fraction of the sales.

So if two apps that are exactly the same come out, but one is priced $1.99 and one $9.99, and the $1.99 sells enough to be ranked #23 and the $9.99 is only ranked 105. The $1.99 app will outsell the $9.99 app like crazy after that, simply because of exposure in the app store.

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hmmm, I like the X number of free ones, does Apple allow you to pull your app down and change the price at anytime? If that's the case I can give out a few hundred(small niche market) and after the reviews and ideas come in makes some changes and start charging.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
In answer to the original question, I came to the iPhone via years of living with Palm PDAs. The freeware solutions for that platform help make it what it is and are often superior to the commercial or shareware alternatives. In short, I have a great deal of respect for the talents of developers who make their work available to us without charge.

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
In answer to the original question, I came to the iPhone via years of living with Palm PDAs. The freeware solutions for that platform help make it what it is and are often superior to the commercial or shareware alternatives. In short, I have a great deal of respect for the talents of developers who make their work available to us without charge.

No doubt, I come from the Linux work were I rarely ever pay for software and it's great BUT a man has to eat. :) I program as a hobby and so far on this app I've spent probably every night for two weeks developing it when I could have been doing something else that generates income. So as much as I support Open Source/freeware I don't think everything all the time should be free.

Shot22

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
No. Most of the best apps I have are free (Aurora Feint, Facebook, iProcrastinate Mobile, SportsTap, etc.) I do, however, lose respect for apps that have bad or cluttered icons.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
No. Most of the best apps I have are free (Aurora Feint, Facebook, iProcrastinate Mobile, SportsTap, etc.) I do, however, lose respect for apps that have bad or cluttered icons.

I love the free apps. All 4 pages of my apps are free ones. I refuse to pay for an app. When jailbreaking becomes stable, ill do that and get the pay ones for free.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I love the free apps. All 4 pages of my apps are free ones. I refuse to pay for an app. When jailbreaking becomes stable, ill do that and get the pay ones for free.
I've paid for all the paid apps I have, and I'm happy to do so to ensure that quality products continue to be made. When jailbreaking becomes stable, I hope that Apple gives a 1-week warning and then remotely disables the iPhones of everyone who has stolen apps running.

wightstraker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
I've paid for all the paid apps I have, and I'm happy to do so to ensure that quality products continue to be made. When jailbreaking becomes stable, I hope that Apple gives a 1-week warning and then remotely disables the iPhones of everyone who has stolen apps running.

I agree that no one should steal an app if a developer is asking a price for it. I don't think, however, that Apple should have any right to monitor what we do with our iPhones. We paid for a physical product, not a conditional service.

Should Apple start remotely disabling our Macs if we browse copyrighted material on youtube? Perhaps GM can begin disabling our cars if we go over the speed limit?

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
I agree that no one should steal an app if a developer is asking a price for it. I don't think, however, that Apple should have any right to monitor what we do with our iPhones. We paid for a physical product, not a conditional service.

Should Apple start remotely disabling our Macs if we browse copyrighted material on youtube?

Apple has no right to disabled my iphone. I paid for it and its mine.

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pirated software is another discussion, can we please stay on topic.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I actually like the .99 price point or even 1.99 etc for the fledgling developer who may be learning as they go.

It's funny, 'cuz I actually hate the .99 cents price point.

"Free" I love, and does NOT seem cheap to me, yet .99 cents still does.

When an app is free, it's possible it could be something super-simple, but it's equally possible it could be something super amazing. Some of the best apps are free (Shazam, Simplify Media, Tap Tap Revenge, Facebook, Aurora Feint, Remote, etc.). However, if it's .99 cents, the majority of the time it's ONLY a super-simple "novelty" app, and not worth my time. I feel like developers usually price an app at .99 cents if they know it's a dud, yet they still want to get some moolah out of it anyway. Not that EVERY app priced at .99 cents is crap, but I would say...well...99 (to use that number again) percent of them are. So to be honest, I've been "trained" to ignore most apps that are .99 cents.

However, if they are free, I'll always take a look at them, no matter what -- because there's always a chance it could be a quality developer looking to get their product out to as many people as possible. And if it seems interesting, I'll download it and give it a try. Why not? It's free! If I don't like it, I can just delete it. However, I almost NEVER download a .99 cents app (I think Koi Pond was my one exception). They just scream "cheap" and "desperate" to me.

$1.99 is ok, I guess, and $2.99 is even better if the app is REALLY something amazing -- as long as it works well and does what it's supposed to do. (For example, MobileChat, in theory, SHOULD be an amazing app, and quite a steal at only $2.99 -- but since it's buggy as hell, it's not even worth being free in its current state. If it worked flawlessy, it could easily be a $5-10 app, no problem. People WILL pay for quality).

Again, it all depends on the kind of app in the end. The more amazing it is, the cheaper you can price it at and still do well with it, because people are hungry for quality apps and WILL download it. Just don't price it at .99 cents! It makes me think of Dollar Stores, which signifies cheap to me. Completely free or 2-3 bucks is better, in my opinion.

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
It's also hard when developing for a small audience...out of the millions of iPhones maybe 5% would actually use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.