Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
I have read complaints of iPads lately. One user claims his iPhone Pro Max is better for reading books and does not like the idea of the Mini 6. I strongly disagree. At my job all the field techs use iPads I mean the classic iPad with the home button because they meet our needs just fine. Plenty of other companies use iPads. Do you love your iPad and how do you use it? I have the Mini 6 and use it daily. It’s very useful for 6 hour plane flights and far more useful than a laptop or phone for books and movies on such long flights. What about you?

Do you work at a company that uses iPads and if so what type of iPad?
Love the iPad? I won’t use that word - “love” - but I do like it as a device, which accounts for the fact that I have and use two of them. My work environment - academia - doesn’t really care which platform we use as long as we can integrate our stuff over the Office 365 and Teams environment. This works for me also because I use the O365 environment for my personal stuff.

I use the larger iPad (11” Pro) for reading, marking up documents, emailing, browsing, notes (using the Pencil), and the smaller iPad (Mini 6) for reading, emailing, some note taking, browsing, and sometimes, YouTube. I accept that I under-utilise the smaller iPad.

My phone - S22U - has an amazing screen and I use that most often for YouTube. I like Relay for Reddit and use that for Reddit, I sometimes read on the phone, I use it for music and for my communication needs.

My main machine though is the ThinkPad X1C6. It is the one unit (aside from the phone) that is probably indispensable for me, particularly where my work is concerned.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I wouldn't say I love it. It suits my need as a mobile device/supplemental to my iphone/Windows PC. I use it in the backyard when I'm chillin there. I use it for my light automation. Beyond that I wouldn't say I love the thing. Fills that need in between iphone and a full size computer.

Reactions: arkitect

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I have read complaints of iPads lately. One user claims his iPhone Pro Max is better for reading books and does not like the idea of the Mini 6. I strongly disagree. At my job all the field techs use iPads I mean the classic iPad with the home button because they meet our needs just fine. Plenty of other companies use iPads. Do you love your iPad and how do you use it? I have the Mini 6 and use it daily. It’s very useful for 6 hour plane flights and far more useful than a laptop or phone for books and movies on such long flights. What about you?

I use my M1 IPP 11in for virtually all my laptop needs. I have over 800 epub files on board, as well as my entire library of university books that i used to graduate (used as reference material). I have MasterClass videos loaded to watch at my leisure (Chris Hadfield - is a much required watch if you're into STEM stuff). I have hours of videos from 'The Great Course' of Sean Carroll as well as accompanying course work (pdf) and Briane Greene's course from the 'World Science Festival' - his course alone is in excess of 11 hours. Tons of games - at least 200..lol from Genshin, Grid AutoSport, Talos Principle, GTA III - all of the ones available in App Store...etc...lol. I use a bluetooth controller. About 20 movies in my library; from Interstellar to original Alien & Aliens (1986), to Avatar (James Cameron), Super Troopers 1 & 2 and many others. All this is stored LOCALLY. I also do all my editing and uploading from this magical piece of glass (as Apple likes to call it). Its a productivity beast. From filming, taking photos, to video editing and uploading with just my IPP and my Apple Pencil. I can't say enough about this device. With the right app, there is almost nothing that this thing can't do. I have the cellular version with access to 5G uwb in my area. Needless to say my IPP is my most valuable device!

Reactions: jwolf6589

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I use my iPad mini 6 exclusively as an e-reader. I can't stand Kindles and love iPads for reading.

I've had too many iPads to count over the years and would love to just ditch my laptop for an iPad. but, Apple insists on gimping iPadOS, so I gave up on the idea a couple years ago. So, I've relegated iPads to reading books, and I prefer it that way. (And I do spend a lot of time reading)

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
My iPad 9 sits in a Sony XDRDS16IPN clock-radio dock at the side of my bed. I use it to watch YT videos and checking activity on my YT channel before I go to sleep every night. That's pretty much all it ever gets used for. I've tried taking it places to use instead of a laptop, but usually when I need to take any of my IT tech anywhere, I'm taking it for a purpose which needs a full-fat computer.

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
I bought my original iPad years ago for a very specific reason: My elderly parents were having problems seeing our photos on my phone so I figured showing them on an iPad with its big screen would be better - and it was. I would never have bought one for myself as I couldn't see how I would use it... years later and today I use my iPad almost as much as my Air!

It's a great device to take to work for lunch breaks, it's great as a monitor for my home CCTV, it's great for general browsing. The only things I don't use it for are anything needing a lot of typing, photoshop work and video editing. I've had more value and enjoyment from my iPad purchase than any other Apple product.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
I use the iPad 9 myself to watch stuff online play games read I mainly use it on weekends only that is when I have the most time to use it I like it a lot bought it because it still has the lighting port and I don’t want to spend lots of money just to upgrade to usbc only and the Apple Pencil 1 works really well with it too!

a.phoenicis

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Raleigh, NC
My use is split pretty evenly between reading (reference books, primarily) and drawing/sketching using the pencil.

Between ProCreate and Affinity Designer, it has mostly replaced my sketch pad, and the ability to carry the DSM5-TR and multiple other adjacent books all together in a thin little device is incredibly convenient.

I like being able to have multiple books open to reference alongside my laptop while working.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I use the iPad 9 myself to watch stuff online play games read I mainly use it on weekends only that is when I have the most time to use it I like it a lot bought it because it still has the lighting port and I don’t want to spend lots of money just to upgrade to usbc only and the Apple Pencil 1 works really well with it too!
curious what games you like to play on it?

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
I have an IPP 11". Mostly use it as a personal device. Web surfing, checking email, watching video, reading, taking notes, photo editing while traveling, checking weather radar, google earth, etc. I use specialized software and use multiple full sized monitors for my work so an iPad is a non starter for that. I'm older and phone screens are just too small for me to enjoy much. I can see something like a paper white being a better option for things like reading novels. I like the iPad a lot and pretty much use it daily.

Spinrite

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Winnipeg
Best device ever. Love my 12.9, 2TB cellular model. Use it for everything but specifically use it for phone calls and conference meetings.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.

I use my Air 5th Gen as my primary PC. I research and document historic buildings in my city, using my own personal website (see sig) and my Bookface page with over 10,000 followers. My primary tool is Google Chrome, which is the desktop version. Additionally, I use the iPad for most of my personal computing needs, too, including a number of Excel spreadsheets to track health-related issues, Word documents etc. All this in addition to its Apple related capabilities: messaging, organizing photos, phone calls, etc. I also do *a lot* of gaming, esp. Roblox and Minecraft — What else? I have a cool Bible app (Olive Tree) and use Google Docs (Word format) to keep sermon notes — heck, all kinds of other things.

My old PC, an HP Pavilion that is really quite good, gets used once a week now - to store backups lol.

Forums always have complaints about iPads, because that’s what people like to do - complain. 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.