Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Title says it all, do you guys miss 3D Touch on your iPad?

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Not a bit. Only time I used it was by accident. I am afraid it never caught on with me.

I use it with most of the apps that offer 3D Touch functionality. I'm fairly reluctant to get an iPad and have to give up this feature.

Reactions: MisterMillz

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If it is bothering you, then you could use Apple's return policy to bring the iPad back. In my opinion it's worth trying it out for yourself.

Ukagr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
I use it all the time on my iPhone. It's become so second nature that I find myself trying to use it on my iPad.

My main use for 3D Touch is to control the cursor when editing/typing text. So I just use the two finger tap on my iPad to move it around.

I don't guess I miss it but I would love to see 3D Touch on Ipad.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
What's worse is that the new iPads don't have capacitive home buttons.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
If it is bothering you, then you could use Apple's return policy to bring the iPad back. In my opinion it's worth trying it out for yourself.

Good idea. I might do this.

I use it all the time on my iPhone. It's become so second nature that I find myself trying to use it on my iPad.

My main use for 3D Touch is to control the cursor when editing/typing text. So I just use the two finger tap on my iPad to move it around.

I don't guess I miss it but I would love to see 3D Touch on Ipad.

Didn't know about the two finger app tap.

I probably would find it very frustrating trying to quickly jump to a conversation in iMessage or straight to the search field in IMDB to only find out it's not achievable on an iPad.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
What's worse is that the new iPads don't have capacitive home buttons.

Why is it worse?

And to respond to the OP original question. I have iPad air 2 and a 6s. I do not miss 3D touch at all on my iPad.

badmojo69

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Every time I need to dismiss several days of notifications. I wish apple would fix the way notifications are grouped.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Every time I need to dismiss several days of notifications. I wish apple would fix the way notifications are grouped.

All they need to do is implement a long press to clear all notifications, kind of like long pressing to close all open tabs in safari.

Reactions: badmojo69

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
I use it quite a lot when launching apps, quite handy for getting straight to a specific function.

Starting new mail, opening new tab, shortcut to phone calls etc. Nothing that couldn't be done with a long press (if it didn't start the wiggle), but still.

Oddly, I never miss it on my iPad for some reason.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't miss 3D Touch particularly, but do miss the haptic feedback from my iPhone 7 you get when scrolling through timer wheels and the like. Feels much less 'real', if that makes sense. Also I definitely prefer the capacitive home button to the iPad's mechanical.

Reactions: InvalidBassist

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I use 3D Touch all the time on my iPhone. That said, I think one of the requested features I see for the iPad is 3D Touch. The reason I see it as useful is it would at create a quicker shortcut to access specific parts of the application quicker, versus opening the whole application and having to navigate through the application across a larger display.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Why is it worse?

And to respond to the OP original question. I have iPad air 2 and a 6s. I do not miss 3D touch at all on my iPad.

It's a jarring experience going from the button on the iPhone 7 to the iPad button - they should both be the same.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I really don't. Although I use 3D Touch quite a bit on my 7, I don't have much of a desire to have it on my Mini 4.

Reactions: lyngo

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
It's a jarring experience going from the button on the iPhone 7 to the iPad button - they should both be the same.

A "jarring experience?" Just my opinion but that sounds a little bit extreme. It is different, certainly, but not jarring. In fact, because of gestures on the iPad, I hardly ever touch the home button or need to!

Turning iPad on it wakes with the opening of the Smart Cover and I place my thumb on the home button to read my thumb and unlock the device. I don't even press down on it! Hardly "jarring" in my experience.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I find that I do need to press down on it after opening the Smart Cover (it displays "press home to open" once it's unlocked) unlike the capacitive button on the iPhone. It just feels old-fashioned having to physically press the home button.

Given all the high tech specs, I wonder why Apple didn't add the new button on the Pro.

Last edited:

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Definitely one of the big misses on the iPad. I find that there a few specific things where 3D touch is very useful on the iPhone (which are perhaps very personal). In my case, for example the ability to reply to a text on the home screen. Not having them on iPad is very annoying.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I miss it
Going from watch to iPhone to iPad muscle memory
Is touch schizophrenia

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
There are little things I want before I get a new iPad. I want 3D Touch, the capacitive home button and matte black. Since the 10.5 didn't have those, I'm keeping the 9.7 in hopes of getting those in the new future.

But, here's the problem I know I'm going to face. When the new iPhone comes out, it'll have features I want in a new iPad. Then I'll be waiting for that too. It's a never ending cycle.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Yes, I miss it for only one function. The ability to move the cursor anywhere while typing. I catch myself pressing down on the screen trying to move the cursor almost everyday while using the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.