Do you miss not having Flash on your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gomff, Mar 29, 2011.

?

Do you miss Flash functionality on your iPad?

1. Definitely, it's a deal breaker and I'm returning it.

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. It's annoying but I'll live with it.

34 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I'm pleasantly surprised by how little it bothers me.

56 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. What's Flash?

26 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. Gomff, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Gomff macrumors 6502a

Its been 5 or so days of heavy use including surfing etc and I have to say I have hardly missed Flash functionality. I expected lots of pages to be useless and not to be able to view much video but I'd say in most cases (above 90%) I haven't had a problem at all.

Anybody else here feel like not having flash isn't that big a deal?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I don't miss it, then again I have Flash blocker installed in Firefox.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't miss what I never had. Not having flash has only been a problem once on my iPad. When that happened, I took my business elsewhere.

4. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Thank you. I have been preaching that for quite awhile. No going to the laptop or desktop, just flat out refuse to do business with companies or visit websites that insist on Flash dependency.

5. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

If you miss flash you can try these browsers: Skyfire, Puffin (my favorite) Iswifter, and cloud browse (you pay monthly and I don't think it is worth it)

6. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Just use Iswifter and you'll be able to see your flash sites.

7. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I use Skyfire if I am set out to do something I KNOW is flash (like watch a show clip online).. other then that I don't notice the lack of flash abilities.. honestly.. doesn't bother me at all :)

8. bmat macrumors 6502

Yes, on some occasions. There are a number of interactive sites where flash is essential. But given than my iPad is not a computer replacement for me, it isnt so bad.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really, I just could not be assed to get off my big ass and move. Frankly, if I am inconvenienced then there is no point in me bitching about it, I'll just buy whatever I want elsewhere.

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Bank of America's Sitekey security feature requires flash to setup a new PC for access to the full site. The more limited iphone app works ok. The bank has no estimate as to the timeframe or if they will update that web application so that it does not require flash.

I'm a bit annoyed Apple still refuses to include this as an option we can turn on only as needed but I understand many folks wouldn't know how to disable it and could result in a negative user experience. Perhaps include the option with the default mode being disabled.

Oh well....

11. Kane08 macrumors member

Why isn't there a "don't miss it at all/doesn't bother me one bit" option? That's the camp I'm in, not one single time have I missed it. Have there been times I've gone to a website that relied somewhat or completely on flash? Yes, but that didn't make me miss flash, it made me stop using that companies site, and want to smack whatever individuals at those companies who made such 'brilliant' decisions

12. iSkythe macrumors regular

iSkythe

I also use iSwifter whenever I need to view a flash web page. Works great, and not just for flash videos!

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not really, majority of the sites i visit have embraced HTML5.

14. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Umm

Adobe has had the iOS SDK for years and have not been able to make Flash efficient enough for Apple to allow it on their devices.

Blame Adobe and your bank, and their web developers.

I can't think of a single reason that a bank's website would need Flash ??

15. brewno macrumors 6502

It only bothers me when I try to go to a website, and it's flash based. Then I have to wait to get home and see the website on the computer... :rolleyes:
    A shame, cause iPad 2 can handle flash, I'm sure.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Well not really cause usually when I need to take a photo it's during daylight hours so no need really...

...:apple:

17. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

It only would bother my mom because she plays Cityvillie and there is no app for it yet.

18. bri1212 macrumors 6502

I don't miss it at all either, and being a BofA customer, I am pissed at Bofa that they rely on flash for that purpose. Luckily I have only run into it once on their site, and dealt with it.

Everyone should be blaming Adobe for the lack of flash. It does not work on IOS or Honeycomb, or OSX, and does not work well on Windows XP, Vista, or 7. Doesn't sound to me like it's Apple's fault.

19. Gomff thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was option four, "What's flash?".....It was meant in a kind of ironic way....Maybe I shouldn't have tried to be funny...apologies!

I develop web pages from time to time and whenever clients say they want flash, I immediately ask why and tell them that it's a closed, proprietary system that adds little true value. Most of the time they come round to the same way of thinking :D

20. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

21. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

22. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Just to point out, obviously since this is an Apple forum, there won't be as many "deal breaker" votes as those people will tend to not be viewing an iPad forum.

23. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I have no issues at all with my bank. Looks like it might be time to switch to a new bank. One that doesn't require Flash to do online banking. If Apple had any Flash capability, then web master's wouldn't change their sites and Flash would continue to survive.

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This works but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable running a banking app in this way. OK option for other sites though. A little slow but let's me view the animation or video.

It's stupid really. Just an animation for the box that accepts the initial code for setting up sitekey. Probably wouldn't take them long to rewrite that screen. It's a one-time task that sets a cookie.

I don't deny flash has poor performance. I would just like the option to enable it and disable it at will. It could be disabled by default.

I suppose it's not that important; besides it's just one of those "Jobs" things like no Blu-ray for you! :)

Cheers,

25. RKpro macrumors 6502

I too, am surprised how the Internet has become less dependent on Flash. Embeded YouTube clips play fine, I think I've seen Vimeo working as well. Pretty much every site worth visiting has embraced html5 video in some way. In the past week of iPad ownership, there must have only been two or three sites I couldn't fully experience.