Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dieseldave24v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
In my opinion the best thing about google maps was street view. I was upset when I upgraded to iOS 6 last night that the street view capability was gone. I almost felt cheated!

Here is the fix....

Go to the App Store and install the free app called (live street view). This is basically a portal that puts you into google maps street view.

I am once again happy with iOS 6!

Dieseldave24v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Google maps from safari does not offer street view. This app ONLY provides you with googles street view capabilities.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Thanks dude.

Edit:

By the way I love the new app store. Only problem I still have is no zoom on the screen shots. Come on Apple!

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Oops .. Did not notice.. It is still a google engine...
So apple wont really use it directly in maps..

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I only ever use Street View about once a year, and never on my iPhone.

What do people use it for?

I use street view for checking out clients offices. Do they have parking? Is it an office block? Which side of the road are they on? Stuff that isn't available on the standard top down map view.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
I only ever use Street View about once a year, and never on my iPhone.

What do people use it for?

I use it all the time when traveling--mostly to get a preview of what client's offices and buildings look like, the neighborhood, outside of my hotel etc, so that when I get there I have a much faster orientation of the surroundings.

Before I went to Berlin earlier this year, I did a virtual "walk" from my hotel , up to the Brandenburg Gate, down Under den Linden, to the TV tower, to the East Side Gallery, then back through the city to the hotel. It's immensely helpful for trip planning.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I dont know how extensive the data base is... But so far it looks great.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/live...493861593?mt=8

This app pulls street view from Google's servers. It's the same images. I know this because the shot in front of my house shows my neighbors standing in the street exactly the same in Google and in this app.

So no, Apple can't buy them and get the data. And I'm not even sure this app has a license to show this data. But it's a nice stop-gap for now.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
This app pulls street view from Google's servers. It's the same images. I know this because the shot in front of my house shows my neighbors standing in the street exactly the same in Google and in this app.

So no, Apple can't buy them and get the data. And I'm not even sure this app has a license to show this data. But it's a nice stop-gap for now.

*lol* yeah obviously there is no way for another company to just pull the whole streetview database out of their sleeves.

----------

Before I went to Berlin earlier this year, I did a virtual "walk" from my hotel , up to the Brandenburg Gate, down Under den Linden, to the TV tower, to the East Side Gallery, then back through the city to the hotel. It's immensely helpful for trip planning.

Yeah that's what I do sometimes...on my PC

Like probably 90-99% of all people I didn't even knew it was available in Google Maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.