Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bas-macfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
I am in doubt. I really like the wireless keyboard standard with the iMac. But do you miss the number pad that I still have on my old keyboard? I use numbers quit often while working.

Ordering the keyboard with numbers does have a usb cable..... not so pretty. What do you think?

Cheers...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I don't. I actually have the small wired KB and I find it better as it's smaller.

You can get USB or Bluetooth numpad and use it when needed

TrojanX

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Houston, Tx
Nope, not at all. I rarely used the num pad and I find the numbers at the top of my keyboard efficient enough. I do have an app on my Ipod Touch which acts as a wireless keypad/remote/trackpad if needed.

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
When I bought my iMac a couple weeks ago, I told the apple rep that I really preferred the wired keyboard and they just threw it in at no cost (well, I think they charged a $1). I can't stand not having a numeric keypad. The USB cable on it isn't bad because it's thin like an ipod cable and is actually somewhat convenient because the wired keyboard gives you two USB ports to plug right into vs. having to plug into the back of the iMac.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
I used the wireless keyboard for about a year and it's very convient - no cords, and you can carry it over to the sofa or whatever.

However, when I upgraded a month ago I went the USB and keypad board. It's not that I really neeeeeded it, but it's convenient sometimes. Some games presume a keypad. Also, when you first set up windows under bootcamp, you need to use a usb keyboard. Also, it has two usb ports. And it doesn't require charging batteries.

It's a little bulky after the svelte wireless but overall the USB model came out ahead for me.

easepease

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
Colorado
At first look it seems like its inferior, but like many others have said you don't actually need it very often. Granted its depends on the user but 99% of the time I am fine and refer the small size to the wired keyboard. I actually have both and i guess the only three uses for the wired version is the occasional game, doing lots of accounting, and when I have no batteries for the wireless ;)

bas-macfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Nope, not at all. I rarely used the num pad and I find the numbers at the top of my keyboard efficient enough. I do have an app on my Ipod Touch which acts as a wireless keypad/remote/trackpad if needed.

That is really cool, what app is that???

Aug 26, 2008
What's much worse is no delete key. When you're programming just having backspace does not cut it. Bummer! I don't miss the number pad, you can learn to type numbers with two hands faster than you can type them with one. Not sure it's necessary these days.

pt0016

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
There is a delete key.

Fn+backspace = delete
Fn+Arrow up/down = pg up/down
Fn+Arrow left/right = end/home

:)

Commenter

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
The numbers on top of the keyboard most certainly are not efficient when you're working in a spreadsheet, as the thread starter said he often does.

And the keypad app is all good and gimmicky, but using a software keyboard for doing serious work on the desktop is just silly.

Terry Stibal

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
South of Houston TX
And now there is a Mac specific Bluetooth enabled numeric keypad...

...that not only works with the Apple Bluetooth system, but also 1) matches the dull aluminum look of the Apple keyboard and 2) actually attaches to it if you so desire.

Here is a link for the PDF that describes the thing:

http://www.lmp-adapter.com/pdf/8337_LMP_Keypad_DS_E.pdf

I found the thing in stock with a Canadian on line computer retailer, and have ordered two of them (one for the bag, one for the desk). They are battery powered, just like the keyboard, and have all of the standard keypad functions (including the maligned "Numeric lock" key left off of the keypad earlier referenced - I've never found the Numeric Lock to be a nuisance, but perhaps that's just me).

They are on their way, and I should have them in hand by early next week.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
That imp-branded keyboard looks nice and all but it's plastic. I suspect the quality's not up to stuff, at least compared to the genuine Apple keyboard.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
I used to use the small wireless one and it is very portable which makes it convenient. This time round though I did go for the full-size keyboard and the main reason was gaming - some windows games presume a keypad for camera control and the like.

If you don't game or play these kinds of games, and you don't do data-entry (or only rarely), the small one is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.