Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
Whenever I get a migraine I take a 2-4 hour nap. It only sometimes helps, but I can always use the extra sleep.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I tend not to nap because it takes me ages to get to sleep anyway. Just occasionally, if I've had a really bad night or two I'll inadvertently nod off for a while and then feel better.

If I'm going on a longish journey I tend to nod off in the car if someone else is driving.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My current sleep pattern is-

Bed at 4am
Wake up at 10-11am
Don't eat till around 2pm
Work until tea at 6pm
Usually nap around 7-8pm for an hour
Work and play until bed at 4am!

Throw in random dog walks depending on when she wants to go out and random friend visits.

During the middle of Winter and Summer I usually have a nap. Haven't had one today though!

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I take a nap a few times a week...depends on how well I sleep through the night. Sometimes if I'm watching TV my eyes will just close for about 20 minutes and then I feel great after.

cornopaez

macrumors regular
I can't take a nap during the day because I won't sleep at night... I definitively need to be tired to sleep. I dropped naps such a long time ago that I can't remember the last day I took a nap.

Even during those long days at school... no nap for me. :eek:

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Nope. I've tried, totally screws me up. If I'm tired then I read or listen to music for a bit. But I never actually nap, unless I'm sick.

According to my mom, I never took naps, even when I was a baby.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i nap occasionally and when/if needed. no set schedule or anything but they can certainly be a good thing :)

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I only tend to take naps when i'm exhausted which more often than not is only when i'm home sick. On the rare weekend when I go out and exercise than i'll usually take a quick nap (30-45 minutes). Sometimes I try to take a nap at work, but my car isn't very comfortable and there's a lot of foot traffic near our building.

kflook

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
Gettysburg, PA
Nope. I've tried, totally screws me up. If I'm tired then I read or listen to music for a bit. But I never actually nap, unless I'm sick...

I'm the same way...it actually makes me more tired if I take a nap, cause I feel like I need to keep sleeping...

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
I nap when I've had a poor sleep or have been working harder than normal, only really in the window 3pm-5pm normally for 2 minutes. Feel great afterwards.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If I'm going on a longish journey I tend to nod off in the car if someone else is driving.

I always sleep in cars. Ever since I was a baby we always went on long car rides into Europe, I only stopped going when I was 16 or so so I've built up a little technique to make the journey shorter - if I lie back and put my knees up against the seat in front so they're about level with my head then I'll drop off to sleep in about 10-15 minutes. Sleep for hours doing that. YMMV :D

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
I always sleep in cars. Ever since I was a baby we always went on long car rides into Europe, I only stopped going when I was 16 or so so I've built up a little technique to make the journey shorter - if I lie back and put my knees up against the seat in front so they're about level with my head then I'll drop off to sleep in about 10-15 minutes. Sleep for hours doing that. YMMV :D

man i wished i could have done that

personally i first learned sleeping in a car during my army where the benches in the trucks were installed length wise ... combined with little light, vibrating engine and generally not a talkative mood i could doze of within minutes ... my record was sleeping before leaving the gate

too bad i learned that too good and always doze away in public buses and miss my station ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
too bad i learned that too good and always doze away in public buses and miss my station ;)

Haha! I only started falling asleep on buses recently compared to how long I've been doing it in cars. Just put a nice Tangerine Dream album on my iPod and have a little doze, thankfully my bus rides are terminal to terminal so I don't miss the stop.

Can't sleep on trains mind. Only just started using them and they feel so "new" to me :D , well, cross country trains.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I never nap. I've tried, but when I wake up I always feel very out of it and crappy until I go to sleep later that night. I guess my body doesn't like sleeping for short amounts of time.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i try very hard not to nap. napping almost always guarantees me a late night, and i don't need any more of those than i already have.

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
I tend not to nap because it takes me ages to get to sleep anyway. Just occasionally, if I've had a really bad night or two I'll inadvertently nod off for a while and then feel better.

I barely even need a pillow to fall asleep in the car! (although without a pillow, car-sleeping is not enjoyable.) Ever since I was a baby, we'd drive from NC to Wisconsin (which is a "16 hour trip" by car, but we made it in about 13 or 14) and I usually just slept the whole way there. I find it very relaxing to sleep in a car.

But the best naps are taken (a) at a beach villa with my best friend during the day (b) on the couch with my boyfriend at his dad's house

:) nothing like sleeping when you know you have nothing else to do, or when you're with your love :)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
It took me forever to fall asleep last night, so as I was trying, I was thinking, "Tomorrow is definitely going to be a nap day." I awake to find this thread. That solidifies it. Today is DEFINITELY going to be a nap day.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Must be something about the motion, rocking us off to sleep. I'll just skip along on the surface of sleep, have a look at where we are, doze, find we're a bit further, more dozing etc.

I quite regularly drive for three hours in one direction, stop for a couple of hours and then drive home again and that during that second stint I'm sometimes a bit sleepy and have to stop for a while and have a coffee or a coke or something. Won't drive when I feel like that.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'm sort of perma-sleep deprived and one major symptom is being able to fall asleep just about anywhere or any time. :eek:

But I <3 the car nappage.

And I <3 naps. Used to nap a lot more, but lately I haven't at all. Still doesn't stop me from waking up silly early. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.