Do you need a hard shell for a MacBook Pro retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinnabun93, Apr 29, 2013.

1. cinnabun93 macrumors newbie

cinnabun93

I just got a MacBook pro retina 2.7ghz version and I am wondering if I need a hard shell. I really don't want to cover up the design. Do you use a shell or carry it naked.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I don't like the hard cases because dust gets under and scratches it.

I like the stickers like iCarbons for the bottom of macbook and top of lid to prevent scratches however.

3. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I use the see thru speck case for my retina, its the best of both worlds, protection and the looks.

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

no way i'm gonna make a thin laptop thick.. i carry it around every day with no protection other than the bag its in.. no scratches, no dents.

5. printz macrumors regular

Do people cover their MacBooks to avoid being seen in public with expensive and valuable gadgets?

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I don't like hard cases, especially after my Speck case misaligned the lid and chassis of my old MacBook Pro. If they were precision cut, maybe, but the way these cases are made, I would rather use a nice laptop bag.

7. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I use a Speck case on my rMBP, prefer to protect it; do like its look in the case.

8. eagleglen, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I have the Speck Smartshell in clear on my 13" rMBP. It's thin and snug, and doesn't add any appreciable bulk to the laptop. I also like the clear design because it preserves the look of the MBP. I carry the laptop around my house quite a bit and value the protection again scratches and bumps that might cause a dent or unsightly ware and tear. When I leave the house with it, I slip it into a padded compartment in my backpack, so the hard shell works out ideally for my use.

9. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I have my Speck case for the same reasons, bough the black version right when it was launched, recently replaced it with the Pomodoro Red; my wife an daughter's Mac's have Speck cases too.