iPad Do you need a Mac to use an iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jardins de Vin, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I know that you can't sync stuff if you have no Mac, but the thing is, I have to return my Mac Pro to the seller for various reasons, which means I will have no computer that I could use for the iPad.

I would buy the iPad Air second hand and it would be reset to default and all. Would I still need a Mac to use it? I know that with older iPads this was the case, but I have the feeling I've read somewhere that it isn't the case anymore. Couldn't find where however.

2. Mac'nCheese, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

YOu can use it without a mac. My parents do. My grandparents do. Buy you said sync it. You can't sync it if you have nothing to sync it to. (Unless you have music and stuff in the cloud) DO you mean back it up? Cause you can use the cloud for that.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

But, the first time I start the iPad – I can instantly use it?

4. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Yes. Just sign in with your iCloud / iTunes account and off you go.

5. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

And you can always install iTunes on a Windows PC as well.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Your don't need a Mac or even a PC as long as you trust iCloud to keep your backups. You just buy apps, music, and movies directly in the App Store or iTunes. Just sign in with your Apple ID when you start it up, and you should be able to download past purchases. The only useful thing with using a computer to sync is if you have a large media library, and you want to change around what's on your iPad. Also if you want to offload photos and free up space.

8. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

You can use the iPad on its own. But I generally use it in conjunction with a computer. So, you have two good answers above. You can use iTunes in a Windows environment, it's pretty good. Most of the computer action does happen in iTunes. Alternatively, you can use iCloud, and you can use iCloud on your iPad, or a PC.

9. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Maybe my original post wasn't very clear, but basically, I will use the iPad with the Mac, it's just that I will buy one in the coming days probably, but I have to send my Mac back to the seller at the same time. Which will probably take 1-2 weeks until it's back. I just wanted to know if I'll be able to launch it and use it without having the Mac :) But my question has been answered already :)