Do you need a Mac to use an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Soundhound, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

We're getting my mother in law an iPad for xmas. She's not at all computer savvy (to say the least!) but thought she might like being able to surf the web, type simple emails etc with the iPad.

Since she doesn't have a Mac, is she going to run into problems? She's visiting us over the holidays so we can set up the iPad for her here. But when she returns home, someone will have to come over to her house and set up the Airport Express (which we got for her) with a Mac, right? After that will she be okay without a Mac while using her iPad?

Thanks!

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You just need a computer running the latest version of iTunes for backing up and updating software. To actually use the iPad, you just need the Mac to activate (which you can do in store).

If she needs to fix the iPad, she'll need a computer to restore, or if she put a passcode on it and forgot, she'll also need to plug it in to a computer to unlock it.

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I was hoping, thanks. Can you set up an Airport Express with an iPad, or do you need a mac for that?

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You don't need an airport express. Just grab any old wireless router, but if you already have an express, you can download Airport Admin Utility from here.

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

A Windows computer and a $20 Netgear router will work just fine. Other Apple products are not a necessity.

Once the iPad is activated, a computer is no longer necessary (or ever necessary if she gets it activated at an Apple store), unless she wants to back up data.

6. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

She has a PC (old). Will a Netgear $20 wifi router really do the trick?

7. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you set up an Express with an iPad, or do you need a Mac to do that?

8. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Any wifi router will do the exact same thing as Apple's AirPort Express. As long as you can connect the router to the modem with whatever cable type your modem accepts, you are good.

And in regards to your question response to sammich, I'm not sure if set-up can be done over a wireless connection. That may depend on the router; my 2wire modem-router combo nor my friend's Belkin router let us set-up over wireless.

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

I just picked up an iPad due to the fact that Apple is replacing a bunch of stuff on my MBP, and I don't think i can access my Airport Extreme from the iPad.

But as others have stated, any wireless router should work.