Do you need a RAID for AE use?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by budha, Jul 2, 2009.

1. budha macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm about to build a new PC for strictly video editing/graphics work. Everyone keeps telling me that I need to do a RAID (I can see doing a RAID 1 for data loss), but is a RAID 0 type of setup needed for AE to work better?

Couldn't I just have a render scratch disk set up so that all renders etc go to it, and have a HD for my OS, one for source footage/project files, and one for renders work just as well?

Is a 7200 HD too slow for AE?

Sorry, this RAID thing still really confuses me.

2. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

As long as you aren't working with a lot of uncompressed video files you should be fine with normal drives.

If wouldn't suggest doing a lot of editing in AE though, its more for compositing/motion graphics.

3. budha thread starter macrumors member

faust,

The most i would be working with is DVCPRO HD, HDV, XDCAM and 5dmkii files. I would never be doing anything uncompressed with it for at least a few years.

I would only be using AE for motion graphics etc, not editing.

4. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

7200 RPM should be fine.

After Effects is more processor and RAM intensive for previews and on-screen rendering. A graphics card that supports OpenGL would be useful. Highly compressed files such as HDV are just as processor intensive as using 10-bit uncompressed video. AE doesn't permanently store renders like Final Cut does.