Do you need any antivirus for OSX if you have Win 7 installed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TazExprez, Apr 25, 2010.

1. TazExprez macrumors member

I am going to be getting my first Mac when Apple starts their back to school sale. I am going to be getting the base 13" MBP and will be installing Windows 7 Ultimate on it. I will be using the Avira AntiVir on the Windows partition. I wonder if I have to install any AV software on the OSX partition? I have read these forums and noticed that many have posted that viruses are not really a problem with Macs, in general. ClamXav seems to be the recommended solution for those that want an AV solution.

Btw, should I install the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate? Should I upgrade to the 320GB HDD, instead of using the 250GB one? Also, should I get iWork if I already have the Windows version of MS Office?

Thanks for any help.

2. celticpride678

Please search before you post. All of these questions are asked every day on these forums.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As there are no (ZERO) viruses for Mac OS X, an AV software is kinda redundant. There are some trojans and other kinds of malware (not more than two dozens, most probably less), which need to be installed by the user of the computer, so if you don't install everything you come upon, you should be more than safe. Windows viruses don't affect Mac OS X.
    If you use MRoogle to search for the hundreds of virus angst threads, you will get plenty of information.

Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

Bigger HDD depends on your needs.

iWork also depends on your needs, especially if you have MS Office.
    iWork vs MS Office threads

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Follow this advice and you likely won't have to deal with malware on any platform, OSX, Windows 7 or otherwise.