Do you need to be a "new" subscriber to ATT for subsidized pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MTXR, Nov 13, 2008.

1. MTXR macrumors member

Do you need to be a "new" subscriber to ATT for subsidized pricing?

If i was already a ATT member, without an eligable upgrade, could i add a line to my plan and get a subsidized price?

I have a family plan, adding 9.99 a line...

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i believe you have to open a new account to get the subsidized pricing

3. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

By adding a line (and extending your contract another 24 months) you get the $199/$299 price point.

I purchased my iPhone, wife fell in love and wanted one, went back a few days later and added her line with the subsidized pricing.

You'll have to pay $39.99 for the extra line, not $9.99 (have to add on the data plan).

4. MTXR thread starter macrumors member

If I add a new line for 9.99 without an eligible upgrade, i could get the iphone for $399 for 8GB or $499 for 16GB?

Quote from att site:

"If you are not currently eligible, you may have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required."

edit:

If i have 1.5 years left on my contract, would it make it 3.5 years? Or would i just be back to 2 years?

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's a tough call. Do you have v1 iPhone? That would help if you did have the v1 iPhone...

7. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Two years, I believe.

8. MTXR thread starter macrumors member

currently everything is theoretical.

I was seeing if i could somehow get an iphone for the subsidized price on a family plan.

My friend has a family plan and they have 2 iphone 3gs.

Since family plans share minutes, i was thinking of just giving them cash for the new line and iphone and then just chucking the sim card in the garbage and sim unlock and jailbreak the phone.

But yeah, i'll try and check out that link.

the add a new line is a one time charge right?

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Now you're getting into a gray-area for me. You might check to see if someone on your Family Plan is eligible for an upgrade, that way you can keep it in the family...

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why not pay the nonupgrade price which i think is 100 more than the ones advertised?

wouldnt only be like 60 more than your plan but alot simpler?

11. MTXR thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i doubt they are eligible since they just got their 3g phones and just switched over to att...

I should have gotten it right when they got it and just have 3 iphones on their contract and chuck the sim in the garbage....

sigh...

but... it seems as though if you can find someone who is about to switch to att, you could definitely piggy back onto their account and just make sure to never ever use the sim card, if the add a new line deal is a one time charge.

edit: yeah i am thinking of just paying the 399 or 499 if it does come down to it... if i could get the subsidized price i might as well go for it..

edit2: yes it could definitely be simpler but if i can use my mind to some how logically figure out a way, i would save 100 without really doing much. my time is not that valuable so 100 is worth it.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ if it's $100 more yeah, go for it...

13. MTXR thread starter macrumors member

BTW, thanks everyone for providing great feedback and information.

14. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

They cant extend your iPhone past 2 years. If you have 1.9 years or 1 day left on your contract, it gets reset to 2 years when you get a new iPhone.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

From the years I've been dealing with AT&T/Cingular, I'm pretty sure it works like this.

If you're a new subscriber, no problem.

If you already have a plan with them, then you must be almost 2 years since you received your last discounted phone. If you're not, they will charge you an early termination fee and then you can still get the upgrade price ($199/$299). The ETF is about $170 or $150 and goes down $10/month from when you last re-upped.

For instance, I bought a refurb iPhone in April about 16 months after I got a Razr free for signing a new contract. I had to sign a new 2-year deal with AT&T from that point (2 years from April), but I didn't get any discount. I think my previous 2 years just ended, so I can get an iPhone 3G at $199/$299 if I want at any point.

Confusing? A little. But there should be a link on your account page at wireless.att.com that tells you when each phone you have (if you have more than 1) is eligible for "discount upgrades" or whatever they call it.