do you need to charge the new apple batteries before using?

davidnssbm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
it says my keyboard is at 55% out of the box and I'm wondering if these are like other batteries that don't charge fully if you don't charge them all the way first?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
it says my keyboard is at 55% out of the box and I'm wondering if these are like other batteries that don't charge fully if you don't charge them all the way first?
If they have 55%, you apparently want to charge them first, but don't have to. They appear to be rebranded Eneloops:
Apple said:
...they also hold a charge for an incredibly long time.

davidnssbm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
I feel stupid for not doing this when I first got them because I was so excited to use my Imac. I used the batteries right away and I charged them last night (after a week or so of use) and they read 85% after charging for 12 hours :(

WiiMarioHacker

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
I feel stupid for not doing this when I first got them because I was so excited to use my Imac. I used the batteries right away and I charged them last night (after a week or so of use) and they read 85% after charging for 12 hours :(
Magic mouse?

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
yes magic mouse. so wait, 85% is normal?!
I bought a $12.00 Rayovac battery charger from Walmart last week, it came with 4 AA and 2 AAA batteries. After the first charge, my Magic Pad and Magic Mouse wasnt @ 100%. I have used only use 3% of the charge so far after heavy use.

davidnssbm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
I read the link and I just read it again. I understand it to mean the 85 is not a defect. am I missing something?

Alfihar

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
UK
The low self discharge HiMH cells which come pre charged, should be ok to use straight out of the box without charging for the first time. As I don't think you need to do an initial charge to form the cell unlike the older standard NiMH cells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.